Steeda X2 Balljoint

• Sponsors (?)

00BlackBeautyGT said:
What does it do? They say it's good to get if your car is lowered.

I was just reading about on steedas site see below. But I want to know hwy they dont include this on any of thier suspension packages? You would think it would be in one of their 3 stages?

Summary:
Steeda's X2 Balljoint improves suspension geometry on lowered Mustangs by raising the spindle relative to the balljoint pivot-point. This raises the roll center back into the correct range for optimum handling, resulting in reduced body roll, quicker steering response and improved overall front tire grip. Steeda's special balljoint reduces the need for oversize front swaybars and allows the use of lower front spring rates, creating more grip over uneven pavement and better ride quality.

Technical Analysis:
When a Mustang is lowered, the front roll center changes due to the new position of the suspension pivot points. Lower the car too much and the front roll center drops to well below ground level, and worse than that, the roll center moves side to side as the body rolls, resulting in lost grip and erratic handling. The lower roll center causes the body to roll more easily. Countering this tendency usually requires a significant increase in front spring rate to simply control the added roll due to the lowered the roll center. This higher spring rate not only hurts ride quality, but it also reduces grip on rough surfaces, as the stiffer springs cause the tire to skip over bumps instead of following the contours of the road.

The X2 balljoint was designed to eliminate these problems by correcting the front roll center geometry. The X2 balljoint has a longer shaft, to raise the spindle relative to the balljoint pivot point. Spacers for the springs are included in the X2 kit to maintain the same ride height as a stock balljoint, but with a much improved roll center height. With the roll center restored to the proper height, smaller front swaybars and softer springs can be used. The result is a suspension that works for you to accommodate the small and large imperfections that are in any road or track, allowing the tires to stay planted, on the ground where they belong.

Construction:
The balljoints are made in the USA by a respected name-brand supplier to Ford, GM and Daimler Chrysler. Except for their custom length, they are the same materials and construction that has been extensively tested in Panther applications, that is, police cars and other severe duty applications, where they have demonstrated durability that exceeds current production "regular" balljoints. They meet Ford's standards for friction, wear, and durability.

Important Details:
Because the balljoint changes the relationship between the lower control arm and the tie-rod, bump-steer should be checked whenever the X2 balljoint is installed. With stock caster settings, offset rack bushings are often enough to keep bump-steer within acceptable range. However, when caster is increased the rear inclination of the spindle further raises the steering arm where the tie-rod attaches. Therefore, an adjustable tie rod end, commonly called a "bump-steer kit", is highly recommended to prevent bump-steer whenever caster-camber plates are used in combination with the X2 balljoint.

Application Information:
The X2 balljoint fits 94-03 Mustangs. It also fits 87-93 Mustangs that are equipped with the Ford Racing M-2300-K Cobra Brake conversion kit or Baer 13" or 12 " American Sedan Brake kits. It will not work with stock 87-93 brakes because of interference between the rotor and the repositioned control arm.

Steeda site may not saying anything about lowering the car, but the instructions say they will thus the kit comes with a couple of spacers to put on top of the springs to bring the front end back up. I left them out and my car is way low!

I had my entire suspension done before I put the X2s on and I really did notice the difference. The steering is more exact and the car feels way more responsive. They are worth it.

SteedaGT281 said:
I have the full G-Trac suspension, best series of mods EVER, by the way, especially if you're into AutoX like myself.

I do not have the Steeda X2 balljoint and have driven similar cars that were equipped. I honestly did not notice a difference and/or improvement between theirs and mine. I have no idea how it would lower your car further, it's just a joint. It may ALLOW for your car to be lowered that much more, but that mod alone won't do that for you.

I wouldn't recommend against it, but I think it isn't necessary to make a good handling vehicle. I'd probably put twenty different suspension/handling items above that mod anyday.

The X2 DOES lower your car more, I just don't know exactly how much. Look at what it does. It locates the entire spindle assembly further away (up) from the control arm, thus, raising where the wheel is located (further up into the fender). I really don't think that they offer that much in the way of suspension performance gains, IMHO. Just my $.02.

GotMustangs said:
The X2 DOES lower your car more, I just don't know exactly how much. Look at what it does. It locates the entire spindle assembly further away (up) from the control arm, thus, raising where the wheel is located (further up into the fender). I really don't think that they offer that much in the way of suspension performance gains, IMHO. Just my $.02.
just put the x2 ball joints in my car a few weeks ago. between the balljoints and taking the isolators out, it came down about a half inch :nice: steering response seems to be a little better, but has also made the car a little slide happy if i come out of a corner too hard. her are before and after pics :nice:

before
dcp_0002_2.jpg

after
my_car_x2_ball_joints.jpg

BlackMagic said:
just put the x2 ball joints in my car a few weeks ago. between the balljoints and taking the isolators out, it came down about a half inch :nice: steering response seems to be a little better, but has also made the car a little slide happy if i come out of a corner too hard. her are before and after pics :nice:

before
dcp_0002_2.jpg

after
Nice car. Those Mach 1 rims really look good on that model. It's the first time I've seen it. Good Job.

What kind of springs are you guys running with these balljoints? I have H&R SS's.

Any pictures? I'm interesting in getting these for the extra 1/2" in the front.

I might get the adjustable control arms to get another 1" from the rear too.

BlackMagic said:

before
dcp_0002_2.jpg

after

Could you post more pictures of your hood? That setup looks sweet... :nice:

Wow those pics just sold me on some ball joints. I wanted them to just lower my car some more in the front since my pro kit didn't quite do it for me. However I was planning on getting the Eibach struts, and shocks designed just for the pro kit would the ball joints hinder that combo ?:shrug:

BTW - nice Stang. Kinda the look of my '00 with Steeda cowl hood Cobra R's, and V6 trunk (spoiler delete)

68 & 00 GT said:
Wow those pics just sold me on some ball joints. I wanted them to just lower my car some more in the front since my pro kit didn't quite do it for me. However I was planning on getting the Eibach struts, and shocks designed just for the pro kit would the ball joints hinder that combo ?:shrug:

BTW - nice Stang. Kinda the look of my '00 with Steeda cowl hood Cobra R's, and V6 trunk (spoiler delete)
no they wont just put mine on had the same prob witht the pro-kit as you and it is much better now. I will post a pic tommorow

The spring spacers in the kit help to correct the geometry on the front end when installed with the X2 ball joints of course. (It raises the front roll center) Without using the spring spacers you will get an additional drop in the front. If you want the same ride height and the improved roll center height then you need to put the spring spacers in. otherwise the X2's w/out the spring spacers will lower the car with no affect on the roll center. Which is much better than cutting the springs or using springs that lower it more than 2 inches.

But as some have already said they put them in the X2's in for the extra drop with no ill effects.

68 & 00 GT: the ball joints won't hinder you combo, you will get better handling with the spring spacers in. Lowering your mustang more isn't going to improve handling, but it may give you the look you want. I only assume you want better handling cause you mentioned the eibach struts and shocks. I love my tokico HP's (blues) nice ride firm grip when you push it.

4BoltMain said:
68 & 00 GT: the ball joints won't hinder you combo, you will get better handling with the spring spacers in. Lowering your mustang more isn't going to improve handling, but it may give you the look you want. I only assume you want better handling cause you mentioned the eibach struts and shocks. I love my tokico HP's (blues) nice ride firm grip when you push it.

I only want the Eibach shocks, and struts b/c they are designed to go specifically to go with my Pro Kit. So my thought is if they're supposed to work perfectly together will X2's change that in any way by lowerning the fornt more-

But I guess my springs themselves will maintain the same height in sprung weight even though the front is lowered more, so the X2's shouldn't interfear right ? :shrug: