Steering hard at shallow angles

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post. The forum has been a great place for information!

I picked up a neglected 2003 GT from a friend and am bringing it back to road life. It is coming along nicely, but the steering is very stiff when first trying to make a turn. It's much less so in further angles - so, turning the wheel from straight / 0 degrees to the first half rotation is very stiff, and then extra effort to go beyond that is much easier. There is no noticeable noise, grinding, or whining at any point in the steering process.

Any thoughts on what this is likely to be? A bearings issue? A power steering pump / pulley issue? Or maybe downstream from the steering altogether (tierods?)?

Thanks, all.

Kevin

• Sponsors (?)

I agree
If you were at the dealer I would sell you a pump and of course CYA for the rack you may also need
The pumps are more common than control valve failure in the rack for lack of assist concerns
If there is a difference side to side or left and right, then the rack may need to be replaced

• Ah yes, I see.  I see.
Reactions: 1 user