Steering Rack Frustrations

DonSoares

Aug 3, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Happy Sunday

Having some hangups with the rack bushings on my 89 GT vert. A few weekends ago I replaced A arms and inner/ outer tie rods, but found that the rack bushings are mush. So ordered a set of poly replacements.

First I lifted the front, disconnected the steering shaft up by the firewall since I couldn't get to the bolts down by the rag joint. Then loosened the nuts on the rack holding bolts. One came off easy but the other, the stud started to spin, so I had to vicegrip the stud and twist off the nut. But then I couldn't get the rack to budge. Tried a little hammer to loosen it, tried to pry it, tried to extract the washer and bushing off the stud. No dice.

So I just bolted everything back up cause I need to drive this week. But what am I missing? First off, is it bad that the stud was twisting? It got super tight when I put the nut back on, but is that normal? And what's the trick to sliding the rack forward to replace the bushings? Do those studs come off or does the rack slide far enough forward to replace the rear bushing? It seemed easy in theory but a bit lost.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Those are not studs they and Bolts, look on the back side and you will see. Put a wrench or socket on the bolt head then you can buzz those nuts right off.

(Buzz the nuts off? Laughs nervously.)
I have never had the outer tie rod ends hooked up when I pulled a rack. I undid the hoses, the rag joint, and most of the time it just pulls forward with a little prying. You may be able to borrow a tie rod puller that will not tear up the boots like a pickle fork.

Tap the bolts back if there is little clearance might be better if you do not mangle the threads. They are coming out to replace the bushings anyway.

If you leave the rack hanging by the ends, will you have clearance to replace the bushings? I am picturing a two piece bushing per side.

I have been trying to remember the Bolt and Nut sizes, memory tells me 16mm and 18mm. You will have to have that rack forward enough to install those bushings.