Sticky Cable Clutch Mod. Driveline

Modern Driveline cable clutch setup for my T5 conversion. The last couple of weeks I've noticed that when I get in the car for the mandatory once a week cruise, the first time I press the clutch it is very tight & sticky, but only the first time I depress the clutch the pedal. After that it's fine. Any ideas?

Update: Well today I got in the Stang for the daily cruise and I almost couldn't get the pedal to move. When I did, it did not return all the way and I could tell something was not right. Any Ideas?:shrug:

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

I'd disconnect the cable from the TO arm and cycle the pedal. If the pedal is free and moves easily, it's time to pull the trans and look up the clutch.

If the pedal doesn't move easily.........try to figure out where you got the cable against the exhaust (which melted it) so when you replace the cable it doesn't happen again.

Based on your description that the problem got progressively worse as time went on, I'm betting on the second one.

This is a common problem with clutch cable setups where the cable runs close to the headers or exhaust. They melt over time and begin to stick and sieze. As CraigMBA said, look at how the cable is routed and determine if in fact the cable has melted. Re-route if possible, but you may need to also replace. If you just can't get it away from the header due to the mounting location on the bellhousing, then you woul either need to swap to shorty headers or switch to a hydraulic clutch setup. Of course, I am assuming you even have headers ;-) Let us know when you have some more details.

Although the melted cable is normally the best guess, the other option (since you have shorties) is that the piece (lever) you bolted to the top of your clutch pedal is rubbing the under side of the dash. If this is the case, you can "massage" the dash a bit, or loosen the bolt and allow the lever to slide down a bit. Downside of the latter, is that the cable travel will be reduced. I did have to massage my dash a bit on my setup. I sued a steel rod and 3 lb. sledge. You only need 1/8 - 1/4".

Well I finally found the time to check my cable out and it is fried. Any idea how much a new cable from Modern Driveline runs? I don't think I can route it away from the headers so I'll probably have to wrap my headers & cable to keep this from happening again.

Thanks,

The collector for the headers is almost directly in line with the way the cabel connects to the clutch fork. I don't think I can reroute the cable w/out putting a big kink in the cable. My new cable should be in next week, Bruce had them in stock. I'll see about getting some pictures when I go back with it.

Thanks,