stiff clutch pedal

slow93

May 3, 2005
i have a 93 hatch with a five speed. i installed an adjustable clutch cable and now no matter where i adjust it , its seems like it is really stiff..any clues on what could be wrong.

• Sponsors (?)

if the retainer is chewed or galled up, it can make a tough time for the TOB to 'slide' which results in a stiff pedal.

proper clutch cable alignment is pretty important in easing the pedal effort as well. a lot of folks dont like aftermarket adjustable cables, as they seem to be difficult/'rough'. but if this just came about with the cable replacement, i would really check the alignment and routing or get an oem unit (or if wanting adjustability, the FRPP adjustable cable seems to be pretty well).

good luck with it.

Need further input?

Did the pedal get stiff after the Quadrant swap, or was it like that before?

What clutch is it? (if you don't know we'll assume stock)

Where does the clutch let out?

If you have it adjusted properly and it allways lets out way up top, and has a firm pedal, I would suggest the problem is the clutch.

The previous suggestions are also something to look at.

If the problem developed only after you changed the cable, its probably the cable. I tried the OEM replacement 22 dollar cable from autozone after i snapped my clutch cable and when i was done i couldnt even drive my car my clutch pedal was so stiff. Returned that, got a ride to summit, bought a 110 dollar bbk adj. cable, installed it, problem solved. Now my clutch is smoooth sailin, like it was beforehand. Quality isnt something to skimp on when it comes to the cable. Hope that helps.

yeah i snapped three stock cables before going to the adjustable cable. since then i havent snapped any it is just really tight and hard to push.the tranny is out of a four banger and i didnt know if that would cause a problem or not.i tried using a firewall adjuster along with the adjustable cable but that didnt help any.i will check into a better quality cable cause the one i have , i guessing, isnt top quality.

cable

I've bought three quadrant/ cable/firewall adjuster kits from UPR
in the lst year and every cable they have sent needed to be lubed.
These retailers are buying these cheap aftermarket cables and
they are lacking the lube. Sellers need to make the customers aware.
(LUBE THE CABLE CUSTOMER) I did one last week and it was too stiff
with the king cobra pressure plate so I lubed it, perfect now.

slow93 said:
is it possible that the disk is in backwards??

:eek: .... no b/c the disc has an elevated section that goes towards the pp. If it were reversed then the disc wouldn't be able to make contact with the flywheel. I think you need to lube the cable and make sure you are routing it correctly (no sharp bends). Also, if your retainer is chewed or the TOB locked up then it will be very stiff. Check the cable, lube it, then pull the clutch cable cover off and look at the retainer for marks. Good luck.

Most of these guys have hit on all the possible causes.
I have had some bad experiences with aftermarket clbles and have found the factory STOCK NON ADJUSTABLE cable like this one for $39 have been the best. :nice:
image.php

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=374

i finally got the clutch right!!!!!i took the cable off and lubed it and then rerouted it when i put it back in. thanks to those of you who helped me get this problem fixed,it is freakin awsome now!!

slow93 said:
finally got the clutch right!!!!!i took the cable off and lubed it and then rerouted it when i put it back in. thanks to those of you who helped me get this problem fixed,it is freakin awsome now!!
How was it routed b4, and how is it routed now. Also b4 you lubed the cable was it difficult to move by hand. I am having the same problem with my car. I replaced the cable and all was good for about a week and now it is like a brick wall again. :bang:

Thank,

Mario

Mike Erickson said:
I've bought three quadrant/ cable/firewall adjuster kits from UPR
in the lst year and every cable they have sent needed to be lubed.
These retailers are buying these cheap aftermarket cables and
they are lacking the lube. Sellers need to make the customers aware.
(LUBE THE CABLE CUSTOMER) I did one last week and it was too stiff
with the king cobra pressure plate so I lubed it, perfect now.

Don't lube the cables guys, they are teflon lined. They Don't need lubing. Lubing will only trap dirt, and grit over time, wearing out your cable prematurely. For those with a super stiff pedal, check your routing first. It goes UNDER the car, route it under the k member, right around where your oil filter/steering rack is. A common mistake is people routing the cable inside the engine compartment, above the k member.

Go only with non adj oem style cables, such as sold cheaper by buyfordracing.com or mm

v8only said:
It goes UNDER the car, route it under the k member, right around where your oil filter/steering rack is. A common mistake is people routing the cable inside the engine compartment, above the k member.
Maybe mine is routed wrong then. Should it wrap it in front of the steering rack and go under the k member? I have mine so that it is under the motor mount, next to the oil pan, but there is still the k member under it. It does not go around the steering rack either.
Mario

From what I can see I have mine routed the same. What I am not sure about is what I can't see. Does the cable go in front of the steering rack and then under the k member. Or does it go on top of the rack and next to the pan.

I have mine so that it is on top of the rack, under the motor mount, next to the pan, but I think it is still on top of the k member. I guess what i need to know is if the cable goes on top of the rack (like I have it) or around and under it.

Thanks,

MArio

I think it routes above the steering rack, mine pokes under the car right at the oil filter area, under the k member. it's got to go under the bottom of the car.