Stinky Exhaust

DemonGT

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Sparta,WI
My exhaust stinks really bad like gas. Not having converters is obviously one reason. Just curious just "how" smelly is the exhaust suppose to be?

With the mods i have running on a stock computer with no tune im thinking im running rich. Im planning on swapping out the stock computer
and going with a P.I.M.P set up soon so i wonder with some tuning if the smell will improve some?

I realize it will always have a gas smell but its super bad IMO...i started my car the other afternoon just to let it warm up and see how it would idle
and even standing outside the garage a good distance away it could make your eyes water, my clothes stunk like gas for the rest of the evening.

Its bad enough that if i cant get it to improve with some tuning i may have to look into a catted mid pipe.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a friend who is much younger than me. He has a nice coupe that I help him with. A few months back he INSISTED on taking off the catted h-pipe in favor of a catless pipe. I told him don't do it...he wanted it loud. He called me last week to tell me he wished he had listened as the smell was killing him....and he SOLD the nice catted h-pipe that was on the car so now he needs to buy another one. I have said on here many times that for me personally I would never have a catless exhaust (again) due to the smell. I did it when I was younger and like you I always smelled like exhaust. I don't think a tune is the answer, I think a catted h-pipe is.

Chris

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
The cats are probably going to kill at least 25% of the sound.

Personally I wouldn't just buy cats, i'd buy a stainless high quality catted pipe.
Bassani used to sell the pipe in a few pieces so it was adjustable and if for some reason a cat went bad (I have found that no aftermarket cats are as reliable as factory), you could easily remove and replace. Not sure if it's still done that way.

Reading through your setup, cats won’t help your lack of a tune. The pimp and a wideband are a good idea to get fueling sorted.

I have no cats on my car, never had issues with it being real stinky. Air/fuel is critical

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Gotta agree with 96pushrod,
I haven't run cats on my 93GT for a few years now, 393W tuned with pimpXS and don't have any unbearable eye watering fumes.
The smell I get is comparable to any pre-cat V8 vehicle I remember.

Thanks for the info guys. Ill be ordering my PIMPxs set up soon. Hoping to get alot of help off the boards as im sure
ill need it and have lots of questions to get it installed and running good.