stock 302 build up questions

bsfstang50

Jun 13, 2008
Rockland MA
Im building a 302 out of a 92 stang. I plan on leaving the motor almost all stock but im putting a b303 camshaft in w/ a multi index double roller timing chain from ford racing. I was wondering what I should be setting it to? Im using stock heads that have had a valve job with 1.6 roller rockers, hardend push rods and ford racing roller lifters. Also i was curious if i could use the crank out of an 86' 302 h.o. to replaced the crank in the 92? 86' crank has 70 thousand miles and the 92 has 130 thousand. This is gunna be a daily driver for now

• Sponsors (?)

should be able to use the 86 crank, but I would not use anything but the stock HO cam for an otherwise stock engine. I don't think that cam is going to help your power output much, especially if you don't get a valvespring upgrade.

I'd pick another cam too. The B cam is not intended for a stock engine. Although the B does come before E & F in the alphabet it's not that way in the camshaft world. Ford lists them as E, F, B, X and then Z. It also seriously lacks low RPM manners and would be tough to work in stop and go traffic.

Im building a 302 out of a 92 stang. I plan on leaving the motor almost all stock but im putting a b303 camshaft in w/ a multi index double roller timing chain from ford racing. I was wondering what I should be setting it to? Im using stock heads that have had a valve job with 1.6 roller rockers, hardend push rods and ford racing roller lifters. Also i was curious if i could use the crank out of an 86' 302 h.o. to replaced the crank in the 92? 86' crank has 70 thousand miles and the 92 has 130 thousand. This is gunna be a daily driver for now

If you're keeping the stock heads I suggest you also keep the stock cam and port the intake.

The B cam is gonna want more air long after the stock intake has given up. Look at my mods. That's what you need to run the B cam and get the most out of it. BTW, my heads have 1.85/1.55 Manley Raceflow valves with a professionally done port job and a 3 angle valve job in them.

well I just got an explorer intake (ghetto cobra) earlier today. guy was selling for 100 bucks w/ a 70 mm TB. I know the heads are gunna need to be changed from e7's to something bigger. Just can't afford it right now.

The B cam makes power in the upper RPM's. It pulls like a mofo after 4500RPM.

Problem is the E7's and stock intake wheeze at the upper RPM's.

You really need to match the cam to the combo, and right now a B cam won't match yours. It may even make your car slower