Story About Your Car

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
Disclaimer: I dunno if I dreamed it or if someone recently posted a thread like this... but I can't find it :shrug: so if I'm running over another post I didn't mean to :)

Got a halfway interesting story about your car?

When I was 13 and a freshman in Highschool (1993) this senior who I was on Rifle Team with had just gotten a brand new Black 1993 Mustang LX Notch...

I thought I was gonna fall out over that car. I was a 5.0 fanatic after that car. I begged to ride in it everyday. I read articles, got magizines and lived that car.

We quickly became friends and I hung out with a couple of other seniors who were on rifle team with us. I wanted a mustang badly, so 6-7 months after I turned 16 my dad scraped up enough to buy me a 1983 GLX Convertible. It was in bad shape and had been lightly sandwiched between another car and a concrete barrier- but I didn't care hehehe I had wheels.

So dad got it painted for me and fixed... I put the fender on the driver's side and it went to Maaco. Came out looking clean. From there on I had an 86 Mustang GT and an 89 GT.

To make a long 13 year story short, my buddy calls me and says his friend has got the car up for sale. That same exact 1993 Black Notch that I'd sworn I'd own one day as a kid. Needless to say 5 Loooooong days later and I was down there in Florida with cash in hand. It was held for me by my friend. Better yet, it only had 63k on it. The funny part is, the owner after my friend put 10k on the car in the one year he owned it- I wanted to kill him!!! :chair: It had 50k til last year

So my point is, I found my dream car. PERIOD. I got the car that started it all for me. A true dream come true. No other. The only other car I'd have is my old 86 Vert which is rotting somewhere in North Alabama.

Anyone else got an odd or cool story??? I know 79PaceCar has a great story on his and a few others. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Mine isn't too odd. When I got out of school the only thing I wanted was a notch. I lived the car for like 2 years and finally i saved up enough. Took me 6 months and many angry visits to see junk cars that were "perfect" but i finally found mine. All black notch from texas (In NE then)no rust anywhere the car was/is in amazing condition you can take all the suspension pieces off with hand tools. Anyway it was about 600 miles away. I flew out there on halloween night and drove it home getting about 12mpg stoping every 100 miles it felt like. WHAT A NIGHT!!!!!!

mine is kinda cool mostly just about how how cool my dad can be when he wants to. I did not get my license until the feb after i turned 16(by birthday is in august) i was racing in the summer and over that winter and it just never happened. I wanted a explorer, i was the only one of my friends that was getting a car, and i wanted to have room to pack people. I was dead set on this ,looking on the internet and i had the money, that is what i wanted. Well my dad had a 68' coupe back in the day, and always was like, are you sure that is what you want???. When i was younger i had a relitave that had a areo nose gt hatch and i thought it was cool, but it never registered when i went to buy a car. One day just after i got my license, we went to coos bay(next town over) to get food, and in the lot across from the resturant, there it was. A 93 electric red lx with a xenon kit, saleen wing and front bumper and chrome ponies, i was in love. My dad says, "why don't you get that." I then studdered "okay"
I still have it 47,000 miles, two wrecks, one alder tree,six years, and $ 25,000 later. So in short thanks Dad:D

AWSOME IDEA FOR A THREAD!!!!!!!!

and yes, i do have a pretty interesting story of how i blew through 3 mustangs in less then a year.

it started with me looking for a set of wheels when i was 16 (i'm turning 18 in a few weeks) but i was wwwwaaayyyy into cars, so i was looking for something to kick some ricer ass. lol i finally stumbled upon a 91 gt, red with 170,000 miles and 10 holes on it lol (on a gt they looked wierd) had it for two days, then wrecked it because i didn't yeild when i turned left one day.

so i picked up an 85 gt roller from my buddie (later finding out it was a twister 2 edition) that had a full on exterior aero conversion, from the front end, down to the quarter windows. anyways, i swapped the 91 motor and tranny in it, carbed it and ran it with nothing but full legnth headers for like three months lol. being my first motor swap, let alone first time messing with fuel injection and carbs, the thing ran like complete **** lol. so i ended up selling it on ebay for like $1400.

with that 1400 i got from the "carbed 87" (even though it was an 85 lol) i started looking for a beater. but by the time i had about 2500 saved up, my mom told me about this 93 gt that a co-workers son had. all she said was that it wasn't running and it needed work, so i went and looked at it and decided it was worth about 2250 as it sits. it was pretty nice, some might remember pics, but it didn't have one single oil leak, a great interior, nice system, and not to mention a decent amount of bolt-ons. so i got it towed away, put a fuel pump in it along with tires, water pump, and a few other misc. stuff and it ran like a top! by far the favorite mustang i've owned.

so nothing too cool, but it was definetly a roller coaster for me and my family

Someone posted it in the 4.6 Talk section about 2 days ago :p

Mine's history is short. Original owner was a posh older lady who babied it. Then I bought it and all hell broke loose.

Well, mine kinda sucks

I purchased a 1990 (currently drivin) to fix it up and sell it since I only paid $1000.00....but then I totaled my 1987 so I didnt sell it...I just removed all the parts that were useable and put in on my 1990

yeah, I was driving on the E way when a drunk driver lost control and plowed me into the way....this SOB didnt have a license cause it was suspended...the guy was like 65 years old and didnt work and was broke so i didnt sue him.

sucks for me...but I got over it kinda...

Wanted a car...knew too little...spent too much. Most everything was tired or worn so I upgraded as I replaced, then I started upgrading just to upgrade :). Anyhow near five yrs later and I have (thanks to MANY good friends and a very understanding wife) attained the car I always wanted. I remember looking back as a beginner if you will, looking at all the modifications in peoples signatures and wondering what that would be like...how they got it all done, how did they know how to do it all...now sometimes I think I've learned too much for my own good, driving the car is more constant monitoring than enjoying, but I'm working in it :)

When I turned 14 my parents bought me an 84 Z28( needed work but my dad is a mechanic and I had always worked on stuff with him so nothing too big) I dumped money in this thing all through high school and it always seemed to need something else. Well I was at my mom's for Christmas one year when a guy I graduated with called me up and asked if my car was for sale. So i sold it a week later and realized I no longer had a car.
A guy my dad works with was always into mustangs. He had been telling me to get a mustang for 2 years. So I decided to see what the hype was about. I told him I was looking and two weeks later he called me up and told me to come look at a GT he picked up and see if I wanted it. Well I drove over their with my dad and a friend. The car was gorgeous, it was an 89 GT 5 speed. Had been painted a light blue color(factory ford color). It was immaculate. It had been hit in the front pass. side. The bumper was josed, along with the radiator support and the fender and hood.
I spent 3 months working on her every night after work and finally I got her on the road. I upgraded here and there and I was in love once I started driving the mustang. I switched sides. I had her for almost 3 years and I was offered 7K by a guy I worked with, he loved the car but I didnt want to sell. After a few weeks I decided to sell just to try out another stang. I was leaving a friends rehearsal dinner and came around a curve I have gone around hundreds of times. I was doing about 50 mph when I shifted into 4th but it kicked out and I took my eyes off the road, when I looked up I was headed straight into a 4 foot deep ditch. I managed to parallel the ditch but the pass. rear tire dropped in and took the rest of the car with it. I fell into the ditch and crushed the pass. side to the seat and hit a outcropping head on. I rolled her ? times and ended up back on my wheels. Totaled her that night but walked away without a scratch. I found an 87 a few days later and did a transplant of everything salvageable and I am glad to say I am back in a stang but I miss my 89 , the one that caused me to convert to the blue oval.

Drew

Not too big of a deal,but almost everyone in my dads family in the mid 90s had a vert gt, my dad had the grey one I have now and my two uncles and my grandpa had 2 tone black on tit. ones. Anyway my dad sold me the car and gave me the buick as a DD. My dream come true I guess, always wanted it since I was about 2 when we got it lol

I originally wanted a 5-spd T-topped GT. FOund an '87 with T-tops I liked. Went down with a few buddies and looked at it. I was 16 at the time. Well it was raining that night. Know how they say never look at a car in the rain? Well now i know why. They car looked good in the wet. It had 110K miles and a few leaks, but I was 16 and driving a 5.0 GT so i was eager to buy.

Next day went back with my dad to put down the deposit and all that junk. It was a sunny day. Needless to say seeing it in the sun made it look like a different car. It was not as nice as it seemed. I didn't know what to do but my dad basically said NO to that car. I was bummed.

On the ride home we passed a dealership. Out front was sitting a 5.0 LX in black. At the time i hated LX's. My dad asked if i wanted to go look at it and I almost said no, but said what the hell and went in with absolutely no intention to buy.

Well the car was all dusty. They were doing construction acorss the street and the wind was covering all the cars at the dealership (a chevy dealer) in dust. Under the dust it looked decent.

I got inside and discovered a MINT interior...although it was red. Rear seat looked like it was never sat in. Odometer read 59,000 miles and it had a sunroof, so i was satisfied with that. Downside AOD. They wanted 6800! This was back in 1998. I got it for $4500!

I can backa ferw night later to pay. I hadn't even driven the car yet. I bought it with no test drive so i was gonna take it for a spin before signing anything. Well they drove it up to the front of the dealership all clean and shiny. It was around 8PM in December so the dealership lights were shining off the shiny black paint. I didn't even think it was my car because it looked so good. There was a dad with his daughter there shopping for a Cavalier and even he remarked "Wow, i wish i had a son so i could be shopping for something like that"

To make a long story short, i drove it, i bought it, and 8 or so years later still have the car and it's been the best damn car i've ever known. Did some research into the previous owner. She was a 63 year old asian lady when she traded it in for a Prelude. Had all the records and everything. I even have her address. I should take a spin by her house someday and show her her old car!

I spent a yr like that one night in chicago....can still feel the hangover when I think back all 10 yrs. Wonder if that little mexican man ever made it out of the trunk of that buick? and wonder what he ever did with all those pilons?....Good times...good times.

Alright here goes...

9 years old I raced 1/4 midget cars. It cost too much and my dad bought a 66 roller coupe and sold the 1/4 midget. We restored the car and I started working with my dad at 13. Saved $$ and poured it into the 66. Car was a black/red coupe, '69 302 with a 2bbl, T5 swap, and not much done other than exhaust and some exterior mods I did.

Into highschool sold that and "bought" my moms 89 LX hatch. we bought the LX in 93 with 33,000 miles, AOD car all power and 2.73s. I got it with 110K miles that WE put on it. It had mufflers (Super Turbos) and thats all.

I did some stuff, ran 15.3 stock, 14.9 with gears, and 14.1 with intake, TB, converter, gears, CAI, rockers, and fulle exhaust. Did a T5 swap and ran 13.9 with less than a week of 5-speed driving under my belt. ET Streets and it went 13.8 @ 98. Switched from shorties and a catted H to LTs and a prochamber, as well as threw in a set of pulleys. Car went 13.2 @ 101 the next day. Then later that fall it went 13.0 @ 103...

Funny though. Car went 13.2 right off the street. I took off the antenna (laugh all you want) and it went 13.1. Pulled the license plate and it went 13.0. Decided to play with the timing and it went 13.3 (damn car). Then a few more things and got back into the 13.0-13.1 range but never hit 12s. Last race, great track, good air, and second gear synchro went. Granny shifted one full pass to a 13.2.

Sent the heads to a shop, got the valves thrown in, a MAF, and a bad fuel pump. Went 13.1 not running right. Next event went 12.7. Then consistent 12.6s all day at 106 (8 passes ALL 12.60-12.69) too bad I dialed a 12.5 because I wanted to have that on my window when I was cruising that night in NJ.

Next event on 17" street radials car surprised me... mud covered tires (NED during a rain storm at FFW) and all qualified 2nd in Street Stang with a 13.0 @ 107. Car went 12.999 @ 106.2 against a 13.1 car on ET Streets (was nervous on that run but I beat him badly). Ended up with a second place finish and a bunch of $$ from the event.

In the fall threw in a stock 95 short block and the next day (car was running at 1 AM, drove to NJ at 5 AM) went 12.56 @ 105.8 (car was not tuned and had no top end, minus the nasty headwind) and a couple 12.6s.

Last summer the car was hurting and was going 12.7s on the one event I took it to (mainly raced my dads 91, and other friends cars).

Soon to have new everything, and 12 psi! :D

My story goes like this: I grew up in the 70's muscle car era. My uncles had Chevelles,Chargers,Road Runners,Cutlass 442, and many more. But my favorite car was a 67 Mustang Coupe. I played in that car for hours going everywhere racing, in the drive way LOL.

Well I wanted a mustang for my first car and I was 18, But Mom wasnt having her boy in a powerful sports car so I settled for a 86 Mercury Lynx for my first car.

2 years later I was engaged and out on my own. My lynx blew up and I needed a replacement. My mom said she would co sign a new car for me but refused to co sign a mustang for me. So she talked me into a brand new 1992 Mercury Topaz 2 door. Sporty slowness!
I kept the topaz about 1 year when I saw a 1992 Binimi blue Vert with white top and grey interior at a ford dealer. I looked at my wife and she looked at me I did a Uturn and 2 hours later we owned it. Ahh my first mustang!! Finally!!!

Then one lovely night my wife drank some contaminated water and 9 mos later we had a Baby, Well nedless to say I had to get rid of the vert in exchange for something more baby friendly.
I told my wife that when we had the money I would replace the Vert with my drem car a red 5.0 droptop with white interior.
Well after 2 kids and 7 1/2 years We finally got to the point where I could get my car. Now to find it.
About the time I was looking a New guy started at my work. One day he told me he just took a 87 mustang vert as a partial down payent for his house he sold. He said he was going to paint it and was gonna sell it.
He drove it to work and showed me.
It was an LX white top white interior but dark canyon red with a crappy saleen kit on it, he took off all that junk and converted it to a GT.
He put it in primer and it was ready to paint. He told me after its painted he wanted 5500.00
I told him I will give you 5500 if you paint it the brightest red you can find. Well 2 weeks later its Torch Red and in my garage.

I kept the Droptop for many years, Most of you know the car. After many mods and lots of fun I grew tired of it and sold it.
I then bought a 66 coupe resto mod It was fun but turned out to be a bucket so I traded it for a 2000 jeep 4x4 which I hated after about 1 month. I got lucky and traded the jeep to the guy had my Built 91 gt, even trades.
I have also had a few other 4 cyc stangs as beaters but nothing worth mentioning.

Well one was a 89 notch 4 banger that had been rolled, I paid 50.00 for it and drove it for a year it was a real beater LOL

Bought my '89 new in December of 1988.. I was 19 and in the Navy. It was bought in San Diego, and has been to Hawaii and back (stationed in Pearl) and across the country (Indiana - San Diego) a couple times

I've had several other Mustangs during that time ('65 coupe, '65 Convert, '01 Cobra), but this one is my favorite..

It's had it's share of mods and I think I've touched just about every square inch..

It currently has 266,xxx miles...

View attachment 443494

I thought this might be interesting to toss in as well:

When I found my Mustang, I was searching for a 94-97 Trans Am to replace my 4-banger LX convertible (a heap!). My dad is a dealer and at the time made the rounds to other lots his friends ran to find cars, and he ran across my future Mustang. It was up on a ramp and was the first thing he saw coming around the corner.

He called me at work to tell me I might want to take a look at it, and so I went straight there after I was off the clock. Drove it home the next day and the rest is history.

I can't begin to tell the story on my car...it's seen things that 99% of us have never seen from the perspective it's seen it..since it was a police car. I'm sure lots of us have seen the other perspective though :D

I traded a badass '83 hatch/351W car for my coupe because i didn't have the cash to finish up the hatch.

I will tell you a great story about my car. I hired a kid to come be a laborer on my construction crew. He pulls up in a Mustang so I immediately start asking the standard questions, after about 3 questions, its very clear he has no idea about cars. He tells me he doesnt think it is fast enough, and that v8's are too expensive to make fast. Well about 2 months later he tells me he has found a WRX he wants to buy becuase it is soooo fast. I tell him I will give him full KBB value for his car ($1500) he is like "hell yeah, nobody pays high book" i couldnt beleive it!!! The car had a few mods, mostly suspension and brakes (turbo cuope rear discs, 4pt int. cage, Koni's, tubular K member, stuff like that) Well after I buy it, I suggest that I should race him i his new WRX (non-STI), just so he can see the difference, you can guess what happened, yup, he got raped:nice: I was even surprised, i holeshotted him bad and he never recovered, we went up to 85 and he was still 2-3 lenghts back. He quit a week later:rlaugh: