Strange electronic box

Below the washer fluid bag on my 66 coupe, inner fender left side, there is a finned aluminum box, about 3x3x6 or so, with a tape of maybe six wires coming out of it. Connection ends are flat metal tabs, and plastic nuts with metal inserts to hand tighten onto a threaded lug. nothing is connected, but the box looks as old as the rest of the car. any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Ill try to take a pic tonight. It was painted black at one point, but a lot of the paint has flaked off, especially where the cooling fins are. BTW, it is not on the front panel, but at the bottom of the inner left fender. I know where the voltage regulator is.

I agree with Pete. It sounds like it's an electronic ignition box. A PO might have put electronic ignition in at some point and then decided to change it back without bothering to take the box out.

When I got my car, the PO had one of those from a granda installed. (he had it bolted to the inner finder as well) Talk about a rat's nest of wires! One of the first things I did was to get rid of it and go back to old school breaker points.

If it isnt connected to anything, just yank it out.