Strange sound - NEED HELP PLEASE!

mpilat

Feb 2, 2007
Thanks for looking.

Recently there has been a new high pitched whining noise coming from the front of the engine compartment. The noise increases with brake pedal depression to even a higher pitch, and also with steering wheel turn (all the way to right or left). THere is some increase in the noise with gas pedal:mad: depression but not much.
Also, when I press the brake pedal, it jerks the steering wheel.I tried looking under the engine bay, but cannot figure out what is causing this.

Any suggestions?

thanks a lot,
Martin

2000 GT 5sp

• Sponsors (?)

Pop your hood, you will see a little plastic deal that says "power steering resovoir" or something to that nature ... It has a clear opening where you can look and see if the fluid is between the MAX and MIN lines. If you can't see it well, wipe off the resovoir then hold a flashlight to the resovoir and it'll be easy to see.

Remember though, that if you need to add some fluid, use Automatic Transmission Fluid not power steering fluid (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). Fords love to "whine" when the fluid gets low or the pump is starting to crap out. Hope that helps some.

IDK about how much it would cost because I do 99% of repairs to my car.