Strange Water pump problem??

88-378

Aug 10, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
Ok, I have a new water pump on the newly rebuilt engine. The last two days it has had a few drops under the balancer on the floor. It is coming from the weep hole.

However, It dies not do it while running and only when I let it sit overnight. Very small amounts.

Another thing that was weird is that when i went to check the coolant level, it still had pressure on it. So, I drained a bit from the radiator, cleaned everything up and ran it until operating temp and so far it has not leaked out of the weep hole.

Should i just go ahead and replace the pump?

• Sponsors (?)

My wifes stepfather, who races, said it may have been I had overfilled the radiator and the that made excessive pressure and it weeped.

He said if it hasn't done it since i drained some coolant out then i should be ok. He said run it a few more times and keep an eye on it.

It's not possible that overfilling causes too much pressure to build, the cap is what regulates pressure in the system.

There isn't much that can go wrong with a water pump, they are very basic designs. A housing, shaft, impeller, bearing and seal. The seal may have needed some time to "seat in"... though I've never heard of the seal needing seat in time... may have just been a fluke. Keep an eye on it and if it leaks again, just replace it.

I hear ya. I can't explain the pressure that it still had the next day while totally cool. :shrug:

No leak this morning either. I am going to give it a flush this weekend. I may have loosened some scale or rust in the radiator. The rad is pretty new, it's just been in storgae while i was restoring. shouldn't be too bad.

I am also wondering if the restrictor i installed for the heater core had something to do with it?

It's not possible that overfilling causes too much pressure to build, the cap is what regulates pressure in the system.

There isn't much that can go wrong with a water pump, they are very basic designs. A housing, shaft, impeller, bearing and seal. The seal may have needed some time to "seat in"... though I've never heard of the seal needing seat in time... may have just been a fluke. Keep an eye on it and if it leaks again, just replace it.

Finally! Found it was a bad cap! Still hasn't leaked, replaced the cap and all is fine.