Street Rodders,...They always get the cool junk.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
So I just got back from the Emerald Coast Cruizin.

Not so much of a stodgy car show, but more of a gathering Place for discussing how to hot rod your Hover-round. Seriously! they were renting old people scooters in several booths at the front of the venue.

over 2000 cars were in attendance, w/ the majority (95%) being 70's and older. There were some beautiful cars there. Mega, mega dollar cars there. If I took anything away from the event, it had to be a sense of......... ( well I don't know what you'd call it):shrug:
These "beautiful cars" don't see the road, except to roll out of their enclosed trailers, to the predetermined parking spaces that they had held by the owners of the other beautiful cars already in attendance. Now while I was in awe at the finish, workmanship and detail that these cars sported that put me to shame. I couldn't help but kinda laugh when it was all over, as I drove by while they loaded their trophy cars back into their enclosures for the ride back home to each ones' environmentally sealed storage facilities. Owning one of those babies must be some kinda fun.:rolleyes:

I did get my A/C dillema solved though:

For the past several months, I've wrestled w/ what I was gonna do about the A/C system. The stupid valve cover is almost blocking the exit fittings of the evaporator, and trying to make it work again after cutting the old 4 cylinder system out of there is way more trouble than what it would be worth.

I was gonna completely replace the factory system w/ an aftermarket system, but that has changed. I found a better solution.

Vintage Air has a system that mounts in the trunk. Its a cool only system that'll fit under the package tray. It has two forward facing vents that sit on top of the tray, and requires I only run a -10, and -8 line to charge the system. Two small control knobs will be mounted in the ashtray under the door. I can use the stock compressor, and an early model condenser w/ o-ring fittings. Costs about 420.00! Fully a 1/3rd of what I was expecting I'd have to pay. Now I can keep the existing heat/defrost system, get rid of the evap in it, and block off/fill the big-assed hole in the firewall. While I'm at it, I'll convert the heater core over to A/N fittings so I can run braided lines to my heater.

I tell you guys all of this because for a notch, It should work out great.

So, bottom line, the rodders aren't the only ones to get the cool junk after all.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I've been to those shows with trailer queens like that before. Can't imagine having a car like that being very much fun at all. That A/C setup sounds sweet, I need something like that for my Dodge, that plus a Gear Vendors and I'd drive it a lot more then I do now.

Yeah, there were lots of motorhomes and enclosed trailers leaving Biloxi the Monday after Crusin the Coast ended. But it was an awesome event, with lots of big money cars and a bunch of mega dollar rat rods. Even the rats went home on trailers.

I just don't like the idea of a car, A CAR, that you cant, or won't, or are too afraid to drive. I realize their are some cars that you simply just can't daily drive. However, I build them to drive and race and I would never trailer one or keep it hidden away. Where's the joy in that?

I agree... If I had the choice at owning my current $4,000 NPI GT, or a $150,000 show car that had to be trailered and was only driven 100' to a parking spot, I'd take my Mustang every time. It isn't the fastest thing on the road by any means and has some cosmetic flaws, but to me there is nothing better than windows down driving on a 75+* day while listening to my loud exhaust :drool:

Meh - everyone enjoys things in their own way.

Some might wonder where the fun is in spending $10K on an engine build just to blow it up at the track and have to build a new one within 2 years.

Meh - everyone enjoys things in their own way.

Some might wonder where the fun is in spending $10K on an engine build just to blow it up at the track and have to build a new one within 2 years.

Others wonder where to find $10K to spend on an engine build every year :drool:

I just don't like the idea of a car, A CAR, that you cant, or won't, or are too afraid to drive. I realize their are some cars that you simply just can't daily drive. However, I build them to drive and race and I would never trailer one or keep it hidden away. Where's the joy in that?

I agree... If I had the choice at owning my current $4,000 NPI GT, or a $150,000 show car that had to be trailered and was only driven 100' to a parking spot, I'd take my Mustang every time. It isn't the fastest thing on the road by any means and has some cosmetic flaws, but to me there is nothing better than windows down driving on a 75+* day while listening to my loud exhaust :drool:

+1