Stroker build..is my top end good enough?

KingofBattle119

Dec 21, 2008
So very long story short, a drunk driver creamed my 90 GT vert, the body is a loss but the motor is fine. I'm in the market for another Fox, and when I find it I'm going to stuff either a 331 or 347 (more than likely 331) shortblock built by FordStrokers.com into it.

Here's the thing, my old engine is still wearing my Trick Flow Specialties Streetburner top end kit. Now I'm aware the cam will be of little use in a stroker app, but will my 170cc Twisted Wedge heads and Streetburner intake manifold be good enough or should I be looking to sell the kit and just get a longblock build instead?

This fox will be a street/strip car, definitely want it driveable around town or highway but looking for 11's on drag radials. Haven't decided on a hardtop or vert yet, just looking for the right car. Thanks ahead of time.

• Sponsors (?)

The heads will work, but be a little small. Talk to Jim @ Fordstrokers. He is a nice guy and will help you figure out what to do. I think with a custom cam you should be fine, but still not to your full potential. I have them building me a complete 347 long block for my car.

I'm not an enginge guru, but I think if you want max power bigger heads are in order. I would email Jim @ Fordstrokers and ask him. They are nice people over there and answer very quickly. The 347 he is building for me is going to have TFS fast as cast 190cc heads on it. Here is my combo if you want to check it out.

347 Liberator Complete Longblock -
Roller 302 Machined Block
Scat Cast Steel 3.400 Crankshaft
Scat Forged Steel I Beam Connecting Rods 5.400
Probe SRS 2618 Forged Pistons (Flat, TFS) 4.030
Perfect Circle Moly File Fit Rings
Clevite 77 Main Bearings
Clevite 77 Rod Bearings
Clevite 77 Cam Bearings
Screw in Oil Galley Plugs
Fel Pro Rear Main Seal
ARP Main Studs
Freeze Plugs
FordStrokers Custom HYD Roller Camshaft
SA Gear Billet Timing Chain with Torrington Bearing
Melling Oil Pump M68
Moroso/Canton Oil Pump Pick Up
ARP Billet Oil Pumpshaft
Fel Pro 1 Piece Pan Gasket
Moroso/Canton 7qt Oil Pan - Fox Body
Timing Chain Cover
Mr. Gasket Oil Pan Bolts
Fel Pro Timing Chain Cover Gasket
Fuel Pump Eccentric?? Mechanical Fuel Pump?
TFS Twisted Wedge Fast as Cast 190cc Cylinder Heads
Comp Cams HYD Roller Lifters
Comp Cams Ultra Gold Rocker Arms 1.6
4130 Chromemoly .080 Wall 1 Piece Formed End Pushrods
ARP Head Bolts
Fel Pro 9333 Head Gaskets
Professional Products NON SFI 28oz Balancer - 80006
Professional Products .95 Spacer - 81007
157 Tooth Billet Steel Flywheel 28oz
Block Painted the Color of Your Choice -
Machine Block
-OvenBaked
-Shotblasted (Remove scale, rust)
-Magnafluxed for cracks
-Cylinders bored on Kwik-Way Boring Bar and Table
-Finish honed on Peterson Powerstroke Hone with BHJ
Aluminum Torque Plates, Fel Pro Head Gaskets and ARP
Hardware (.0001-0002 Taper MAX)
-Plateau Brushed (Provides Instant Ring Seal)
-Main Bearing Bores Align Honed on a Sunnen CH-100
Hone
-Deck surfaced on a Winona Van Norman CBN surfacer (Ra
Finish compatible with MLS Gaskets)
-Screw In Oil Galley Plugs
-Lifter Valley Oil Drain Backs Chamferred
-Oil Filter Inlet Chaferred
-Threaded Holes Chased
-Lifter Bores Honed
-Crankshaft Balancing done on Hines Dominator XP Digital
Balancer - Balanced to 28oz

Yea, it's one of those things where it wouldn't be terrible, but it wouldn't be giving you the full potential of the stroker bottom end. 302 parts make 302 power.

Edit: Sorry to hear about the car.

Yea, it's one of those things where it wouldn't be terrible, but it wouldn't be giving you the full potential of the stroker bottom end. 302 parts make 302 power.

and to think that I only have ported E7's on my 393....:notnice:
I am considering TF 205's for mine...hopefully sometime this year.
sorry to hear about your car man...that stinks.

Ugh this is drivin me nuts. I bought the wreck back originally because I was going to just drop the motor into my next car, but then I got to thinking if I'm gonna be doing a motorswap, might as well go all the way with it and get a stroker bottom end. Didn't really cross my mind that my 302 parts would be a little anemic on a 331 or 347....would 190cc heads be good for both strokers?

The accident happened in January and I'm still upset about it! I loved that car, it was perfect. I was fixin to throw a new paintjob and new top on it and start sending pics into magazines...bah. The look on peoples' faces when you eat them alive in an old convertible was priceless. 72,000 miles was all it got. Life's not fair, even for cars.

I suggest the faint of heart look away....

dyn903.jpg

24o11ti.jpg

314qrk8.jpg

^^Modified my stance in about .2 seconds.

Although you'd leave some horsepower on the table with your current top end.....it'd be one torquey ride with those small diameter, high velocity runners. I'd personally put it back together with your existing top end if you're in the market for another Convertible. One thing those verts need to get them up and moving is torque. :nice: