Engine Stuck Head Bolts

SmokeytheFox

5 Year Member
Jul 19, 2018
Cleveland,Ohio
I'm in the processing of disassembling an explorer longblock and is having trouble with the head bolts. The entire block is pretty crusty with rust and I been soaking all the head bolts with PB blaster but the bolts still not budging. Even the bolts under the valve covers are extremely tight.

Is it ok to heat up the bolts under the valve covers with a mini torch ? I've been applying heat to the outside bolts but been hesitant for the others. Rookie question I know but I just dont want to destroy anything. I had to cut off the exhaust manifold bolts because of how rusted they were, I REALLY dont want to go that route (massive PITA). Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

What are you using for a wrench. I've had to use a cheater many times to break head bolts loose. Slide a 3 foot piece of pipe over a 1/2" drive breaker bar or good quality 1/2" drive ratchet and as short of an extension as possible. They should pop loose.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Mr. Kelley. You will need at least 2 foot of leverage (breaker bar and or cheater pipe). I always carry a 18" long piece of pipe that just fits over the handle on my ratchets/breaker bars. Make sure you use the correct 6 point socket (18mm I think). 12 point is easier to round the nut.

The threads of the bolts are not crusty like the outside of the block, you just need to break them loose

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users