Fox Stuck Power Steering Rack

I had to open up the steering column end on both of my cars like Mustang5L5. I think I used a small pry bar and it was just the opening due to the bolt collapsing it when the cars were assembled or at least that was my thought.

Hopefully you have some or can get some tie wire like this:

Like Mustang5L5 was getting at take a couple of strands and run the ends through the bolt hole and back out the opening in the steering column shaft and use a pry bar to pull the inner shaft back out.

This thread shows one way of doing it.

• Sponsors (?)

Ran into the exact same issue. Will try the wire trick to get the collapsible portion of the steering shaft back into place.

Any idea on how I could ever seperate the MM shaft and the steering shaft if I needed to? The MM shaft is definitely wedged into the collapsible portion of the steering shaft, and I'm not sure how I could ever pull it out again.

SLide hammer. Used a peice of wire to secure one end to the slide hammer, and bolt the other end to something. (or put a bolt in and stick it in a vise) and impact it out.
I used one of these. I believe these are call turnbuckles
1698292637938.png
The hook side goes inside the firewall thru the shaft. The end needs to be inside the shaft not outside since the firewall will be in the way. The eye side is where you tie a rope or string and then pull. This is the link to the Orange store but you can find these only as well.

Reactions: 1 user