Fox Stuck Power Steering Rack

• Sponsors (?)

Once again thank you all for the advised and assistance with this project. I have com again to ask you for you advised once more. In the past step I am having an issue with the pinion screw. It is not going back in. I am thinking about getting a c clamp but there is no space. Does nay boys have any suggestions?

IMG_1979.JPG

Gentlemen;

Thank you for your expertise. I guess the upgrade is gonna happen sooner than later.
Do you have any suggestion on what steering shaft I should get?

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 16-59-33 Mustang Steering Shafts Fox Body & SN95 - LMR.com.png

Once again thank you for the valuable expertise.

Buy a SN95 rack and use the Maximum Motorsports hybrid shaft. Have this on both my cars and it’s well worth it. You will need to swap the fox inner tie rods over to the SN95 rack as those are metric threaded.

Buy a SN95 rack and use the Maximum Motorsports hybrid shaft. Have this on both my cars and it’s well worth it. You will need to swap the fox inner tie rods over to the SN95 rack as those are metric threaded.
I did this to my 83 and it is a bolt in affair that gets rid of the rag joint....

Increases steering feedback and doesn’t feel as over boosted as the fox rack. You can still get decent used 94-04 racks in the salvage yards. Well at least here where I live.

Increases steering feedback and doesn’t feel as over boosted as the fox rack. You can still get decent used 94-04 racks in the salvage yards. Well at least here where I live.
Thank you very much for your input. I greatly appreciate it. However, I just spend 3 months replacing the stock rack. I had an issue with the rods slipping. I had the process in pics on the previous page.

I was thinking about going the low end on the power steering shaft. I will take your advise and get the maximum motor sports. I think what LMR has in stock in the one for 79-93. The one on the upper right on the pic I uploaded.

Once again thank you very much for your advised. I am looking forward to installing this new steering shaft. I will upload pics for somebody else's future reference. This has been a complete saga for me.

And last, I see you have a Maximum Motorsport Suspension. what parts would you recommened?

As far as the suspension goes what I installed was based on what was wore out at the time and then I pieced the whole suspension together over a couple years.

If the car has a completely stock suspension then caster camber plates, a strut tower brace, and rear lower control arms would be my top of the list. If that is all you buy then rebuild the front lower control arms and install new factory style rear upper control arms. That will tighten everything back up and give the car a whole new attitude.

If the front struts and rear shocks need to be replaced then get the Bilstein HD’s. If you ever plan on getting coil overs get the ones that are grooved. Read on their site as to why they need to be grooved.

if you replace the springs there are a lot of ways to go. If you are going to drive it on the street then I would stay with conventional coil springs and can highly recommend the H&R Super Sports as I ran those for years prior to switching to coil overs. If you want to go with coil overs call Maximum and have them set you up as there are several variables involved.

Read up on their panhard bar and torque arm. I think it was worth putting them on the car but I did the panhard bar before the torque arm and that was the last piece of the suspension.

Piecing together will cost a little more money in the long run but it’s smaller amounts of money over time so just be aware of that.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
As far as the suspension goes what I installed was based on what was wore out at the time and then I pieced the whole suspension together over a couple years.

If the car has a completely stock suspension then caster camber plates, a strut tower brace, and rear lower control arms would be my top of the list. If that is all you buy then rebuild the front lower control arms and install new factory style rear upper control arms. That will tighten everything back up and give the car a whole new attitude.

If the front struts and rear shocks need to be replaced then get the Bilstein HD’s. If you ever plan on getting coil overs get the ones that are grooved. Read on their site as to why they need to be grooved.

if you replace the springs there are a lot of ways to go. If you are going to drive it on the street then I would stay with conventional coil springs and can highly recommend the H&R Super Sports as I ran those for years prior to switching to coil overs. If you want to go with coil overs call Maximum and have them set you up as there are several variables involved.

Read up on their panhard bar and torque arm. I think it was worth putting them on the car but I did the panhard bar before the torque arm and that was the last piece of the suspension.

Piecing together will cost a little more money in the long run but it’s smaller amounts of money over time so just be aware of that.
AeroCoupe;

Thank you very much for your reply I am looking into the parts you are recommending. I am very pleased with the steering shaft from Maximum Motorsports. I will be installing it in the next week. Thanks again.

Howdy there folks;

Once again I ma in need of your expertise. I got Maximum Motorsport power steering shaft. I removed the old one.
IMG_2136.JPG

However, it is not going in.

IMG_2139.JPG

The instructions said that tapping the top part of the shaft in order to push the shaft into the column may be needed. I have done that but now I got the steering column completely collapse.

IMG_2140.JPG

Have anybody else ran into a situation like mine?? Any suggestions?? I got a wild idea to put the MM shaft in the freezer and try again later. Current temp in Phoenix Az is 111F. Remember it's a dry heat folks . Thanks again.

Yup. I ran into a same issue like that. I think I had to put a screwdriver in it and open it up a bit. When you bolt it down it will suck that all down again.

As for pulling the shaft on. Put a peice of wire on it and then use a weight like a slide hammer to impact it out