Stuck Valve Keepers

Martman

Jun 20, 2016
Louisville, KY
What is the easiest and safest way to free stuck valve keepers? I am replacing valve seals and I have only ever helped do valve seals in the past and was never faced with valve keepers that won't free.

A buddy said to just tap the valve spring retainer on each side and that should do it. Is that the correct way? If that doesn't work what are some other options.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

What is the easiest and safest way to free stuck valve keepers? I am replacing valve seals and I have only ever helped do valve seals in the past and was never faced with valve keepers that won't free.

A buddy said to just tap the valve spring retainer on each side and that should do it. Is that the correct way? If that doesn't work what are some other options.

Thanks
@Martman
Take a standard 1/2" drive socket wrench socket, about 7/16" or 1/2" bolt size, place it 1/2 open side up on the valve keeper nice & flat, whack it with a decent hammer. This exerts force evenly all around, your buddy's method is lop-sided. Try it! imp

Reactions: 1 user
@Martman
Was it mentioned whether the heads are still on the engine? Careful, if so, a valve dropped into a cylinder at bottom center means OFF with it's head! Usually compressed air is kept in the cyl. being worked on. That piston likely WILL be down bottom. Don't lose your air..... imp

Well I am not sure if I mentioned but yes they are on the engine. I am using the rope method for my extra security. The compressed air is probably easier but the rope in cylinder is safer for me as I am not in the mood to pull these heads. If I pull the heads, the stockers are not going back on and the wife.....well we will just leave it at that.

Thanks for pointing that out though because I don't think most people realize the compressed air will push the piston down regardless of where they first started it.

I like to posts follow-ups to how a job went. I got this done yesterday. However, I resorted to using the compressed air method. Much easier and much more effective. The rope method works but you have to make sure you get enough rope in to actually press both valves so it doesn't catch else where at the top and still leave room for the valves. The compressed air method was scary for me from a thought process but after doing it, that's the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions everyone.

Reactions: 1 user