Stumble, Cough, Backfire and That Wrapped It Up!

So getting ready for new Vortech V3, installed new 255 high pressure fuel pump, high output coil, 9 mm wires, and new plugs. Heading to work when above tag line dropped, engine won’t light now. Could a pretty old adjustable FPR die from the high pressure? Car sat up for a few years but has always ran great till these changes. I’m going to see what kind of pressure I’ve got with key on tomorrow.

• Sponsors (?)

The regulator should not have been hurt by the new pump. BTW, the 255 pump is about increased volume, not pressure. While it may be capable of higher pressure than the stock pump, volume of fuel delivered is its advantage over the stock pump. Pressure at the rail and injectors is controlled by the regulator.

Regulator failure is not common but it happens. Usually a regulator failure involves the diaphragm rupturing. Diagnosing that is fairly easy. You pull the vacuum line off and if gas is in there, the diaphragm has failed. It should be dry as a bone on the side where the vacuum line connects.

Starting to sound to me like a distributor issue .

Also you don’t need that coil . Oem would be just fine . Believe me when I tell ya I have been quite fast with a motorcraft coil and just a 6al

Same wire I run and have not had problems out of many sets other than my occasional stupidity which results in a burnt wire hence the multiple sets. Wish they sold singles. Hope the stock coil does the trick.

Starting to sound to me like a distributor issue .

Also you don’t need that coil . Oem would be just fine . Believe me when I tell ya I have been quite fast with a motorcraft coil and just a 6al
You nailed it! No fuel on the vacuum side of the FPR, replaced the TMI and no change. New distributor and I’m back in business. Dizzy and TFI were pretty old so just as well to replace. And went w/ Motorcraft coil.

Reactions: 1 user
You nailed it! No fuel on the vacuum side of the FPR, replaced the TMI and no change. New distributor and I’m back in business. Dizzy and TFI were pretty old so just as well to replace. And went w/ Motorcraft coil.
Awesome ! I had a buddy that had an issue similar . Car was breaking up , power deteriorated until the car just didn’t run . I ran over and popped a 28 year plus stock one in it and fired right off .