Stupid: Went to put brakes back on, need help asap!

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
So I finally got the bolts needed to put the Brembos back on and the pads are depressed too much and I cant get them to spread open enough to get the rotors on...

God I know I am missing something. When I did the brakes the last time I had some kind of vice grip or press to get them to open up enough but I left that tool at my friends house.

Walmart is down the street and I will buy whatever is needed could someone please help me out? My car is on jack stands and I cant do anything
-fawcett

• Sponsors (?)

are you talking about the front brakes if so buy a 8 inch c- clamp and use it to press the cylinder into the caliper...and for the rear brakes you need a special tool you can purchase at a local autoparts store they will tell you what you need but the rear brake cylinder turn into the caliper and the front press into caliper...

View attachment 460910

bill302 said:
are you talking about the front brakes if so buy a 8 inch c- clamp and use it to press the cylinder into the caliper...and for the rear brakes you need a special tool you can purchase at a local autoparts store they will tell you what you need but the rear brake cylinder turn into the caliper and the front press into caliper...

View attachment 460900

Exactly. Use one of the old brake pads on the piston when you compress in the fronts. The rears rotate in clockwise (this is because of the parking brake mechanism), and take some effort to move at first. Be persistent, you'll get it. :nice:

haha sorry guys, i ended up going to my friends shop down the street and i borrowed his c-clamp. i had such a f-ing brain fart. so yeah im embarrised but everything is cool now and the Brembos are back on.
I just got home to let everyone know that the problem was fixed before I could get back to a computer....
God I feel stupid but atleast I have my car back!
Thanks guys,
-fawcett