Stuttering Acceleration, No OBD Codes

V_Alex

Aug 24, 2021
VA
Out-of-the-blue my 2003 V6 started accelerating very clunky with a lot of hesitation and lack of power. Not as noticeable at higher RPMs. I have no check engine light and OBD shows no codes. I replaced wires and plugs about 5 yrs ago. I checked my vacuum lines and did find that the thick rubber sleeve between the intake and intake manifold was dry and cracked completely through for about 2 in and thought I found the problem. Did a temporary duct tape wrap on that and problem is exactly the same. Any ideas?

And I was just bragging about how indestructible my car is!

• Sponsors (?)

I thought the pros would have posted by now. Well, these are always fun to diagnose. Without any codes, I would assume the cause is any of the big 3. Ignition System, fuel system, air intake.

Have you ever cleaned your MAF? How old is your fuel filter? How's your idle? Coil pack?
Heck, this could even be a plugged cat (I've seen a case where a plugged cat threw no codes, loss of power at low rpms but normal at high rpms [[weird huh? I would assume a plugged cat would lose power at high rpms too]]).

Yea Im not getting much love... Took the intake out yesterday. All hoses were connected. Guy who had car before me put a cold air on there so I got a K&N filter that looks pretty beat up. Not sure if theyre usually like this, but its brittle to very little pressure. Saw those things are a little more expensive than i expected and wish it just had the regular system in place. So may get one of those or attempt to clean it. Fuel filter has not been replaced in 3 yrs, never cleaned the MAF. Idle is pretty good, coil pack untouched.

I guess I'll start with the filter but really dont think thats it.