Drivetrain Suggestions for removing a bolt with a "rounded/stripped" head?

markinms

5 Year Member
Mar 1, 2018
Columbus MS
Any suggestions how I can remove a bolt that has a completely rounded head on it? Sockets and bolt removers don't work as there is nothing to latch onto. Vice-Grips just spin and tear the bolt head up even more.

The bolt goes to TV Pressure Port on my AOD transmission. Space is VERY tight to work in.

I'm open to any processes or gadgets that may get this bolt out. I dread the thought of having to pull the trans over this.

Thanks for any feedback!
Mark

• Sponsors (?)

If actual brand Vice-grips with sharp, new teeth do not pull it, steps like a left hand drill in the center of the bolt, and using an EZ out, or welding a hardened nut on the head are likely your next steps.
You could try filing or grinding flats on the head to better grab into. Heating it with a torch could be a problem with fluid and lack of space. A butane micro torch might be enough to heat cycle the bolt,

Reactions: 1 user
A micro butane torch is going to take a while. The ones from the cooking stuff stores have been better quality that from HFT. Butane refills are next to the cigarettes at Wal-Mart. If there is room, a plumbing torch with a pencil tip will transfer heat faster.

Any suggestions how I can remove a bolt that has a completely rounded head on it? Sockets and bolt removers don't work as there is nothing to latch onto. Vice-Grips just spin and tear the bolt head up even more.

The bolt goes to TV Pressure Port on my AOD transmission. Space is VERY tight to work in.

I'm open to any processes or gadgets that may get this bolt out. I dread the thought of having to pull the trans over this.

Thanks for any feedback!
Mark
What i have done before is to hammer on the next size down 12 point socket on the head of the bolt, the only socket that doesn,t split is snap on socket, If you can, try putting alittle heat on it also,

Need pics. My ideas: If can get a dremel in there with a cut off wheel, start cutting it up. Could cut a nice slot for a big flatblad. But use a socket wrench with a flatblade socket thing.

PB penetrator. 1 morning, and evening, let sit for 1 day. Heat, try vice grips. Could cut or grind flats with said dremel for vice grips also.