Super stuck oil filter! WTF! I've now crushed the end down 2 wrench sizes.

crazypete

All my crevices are greased.
Oct 22, 2004
Arlington, MA
I did not change the filter on the last hurried oilchange and the oil change intervals were higher than I usuually go for....

and now, I go to change the filter and it wont budge. I mean this thing is stuck. The s8a wrench crushed the end. No problem, I think, pull out my import wrench. That crushed it down to 1/4! I screwdrivered it and now it's 1/4 size and leaking.

What do you guys do when the oil filter doesnt cooperate? I was thinking of burning the rubber off with a torch but.....I dont even want to think of the unholy smoking stench that would produce!

• Sponsors (?)

just keep trying to turn it with an oil filter strap wrench or an (claw wrench-mostly import oil filters). I wouldt try to burn anything off, it seems to me that that could lead to a fire hazard and potentialy burn you car to the ground. Your just going to have to keep trying to remove it. It will come off eventualy. seems like the rubber gasket got to hot and got itself stuck. :nice:

I had this problem with a Jeep, I ended up taking the whole housing off, strip the filter all the way down to just the face, put the face in a vise, put a big ass breaker bar in the housing and heat the threads and loosen slowly, try that out, it will come off then!!!!

that's what I do when I encounter a bad filter, long screw driver thru the damn thing...

I also have one of these things so it's RARE I need to use the screw driver trick:

KDT3288.jpg

Screwdriver method didnt work.... I cant get enough leverage to make a difference. I cant wrench because the end of the filter has been squeezed down to such a small surface than all my wrenches freeturn.

I was almost done with the project too!

I wonder if you can knock it so that the lip of the can comes off the block (without hurting the block surface). I bet the previous owner didn't lube the seal before putting on the filter.

View attachment 390080

Im not kidding. I helped a friend get one off that was stuck with my air hammer. He bought a 2001 chevy truck. went to change the oil and couldnt get it off. I brought over the compressor and air hammer, just hit it a few times towards the top of the filter, and it came loose.

Or get a strap wrench on it, apply pressure and tap the top of the filter with a hammer while applying pressure.

I have an almost 150 degree arc to attach the filter wrench and turn it.

However.....

I attach the wrench and pull it into place and lose 40 degrees of movement. Then the filter crushes so the handle is now folded over the filter, eating 90 degrees and a lot of leverage possibility. Then it's an oily filter too so the wrench slides over the remaining 20 degrees.

Plus it's crushed at a slight angle so I am not applying pressure at the exact head on angle.

Thank God this isnt the daily driver anymore. I can play with this as long as I want now

I have an almost 150 degree arc to attach the filter wrench and turn it.

However.....

I attach the wrench and pull it into place and lose 40 degrees of movement. Then the filter crushes so the handle is now folded over the filter, eating 90 degrees and a lot of leverage possibility. Then it's an oily filter too so the wrench slides over the remaining 20 degrees.

Plus it's crushed at a slight angle so I am not applying pressure at the exact head on angle.

Thank God this isnt the daily driver anymore. I can play with this as long as I want now

WHAT!! dude just shove a big screw driver through the middle of it and pull hard. thats all it takes. there is plenty of room under the front of the car to get to it.

it's real hard to crush the filter where it screws in into the engine [the very top] the sides and top come together so it's find of like it's reinforced ther. might give that a try:shrug:

I agree with Boss 351. Notch the base of the oil filter(where the filter meets the block) then use a chisel or large screwdriver and hammer and tap it counter clockwise until it breaks free. I worked at Sears for 7 years and this method always worked for me on the most stubborn filters!

If nothing else, post pics of the current state of your oil filter. Even with an A/C compressor and everything OEM still in place above, there's plenty of room to even reach the thing from above and grab it with both hands.

Ye Olde Screwdryver Method has saved my arse a time or two. Just be sure to use a big, fat, flathead screwdriver and not a skinny little phillips-head, as it'll be a little less apt to just tear the filter apart. Stab that sucker in through the upper-front side all the way through, then push DOWN (turning it counter-clockwise). Get above it and bop it a few times with a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer, if you need a little extra oomph.