Supercharged mustang for daily driver??

I've got a question for you supercharged guys or anyone for that matter. I have a lead on getting an 89 stang with a supercharged 302(also has many other mods), the guys says it can run in the high 11's with slicks.

My question is, would it work as a daily driver? I drive about 11 miles each way to work about 3 or 4 times a week.

Am I stupid to think I can drive it on a daily basic with sometimes being in stop and go traffic? oh also, how bad would gas mileage be with a blown motor?

Thanks
Steven

• Sponsors (?)

thats a tuff one to answer without knowing how well the car was put together. need to know more info as well such as engine specs (cam, etc), supporting mods, the tune the car has. THeres a bunch of things to put to consideration.

Heres the specs on the car, motor to suspension

ENGINE

-GT40 Heads, ported and milled slightly
-FMS E Cam
-GT40 Intake
-FMS 1.6 roller rockers (Blue)
-42# injectors (Green top)
-Pro-M Mass Air
-75mm Throttle Body, Polished Professional Products
-PowerdyneSupercharger 11PSI pulley, makes about 10. (Also have a 6# pulley)
-UPR 4” Powerpipe, filterpak in fender
-BlackMagic electric Fan
-Variable speed fan controller with soft start and cool down
-MSD 6AL
-Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

FUEL SYSTEM

-190L in tank pump
-Vortech T-REX external inline pump
-Aeromotive Products adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
-42# Green top injectors

EXHAUST

-FMS 1 5/8 shorty headers
-2 ½ inch X pipe (additional bung welded for WB sensor)
-2 ½ inch Flowmaster mufflers and tailpipes

ELECTRONICS

-Anderson Ford Mtrsprt. (AFM)PMS(Programmable Management Sys.) $950.00- series 4 with current updates.
-3 bar MAP (for boost reference) $85
-AFM Interacq. Software $275
AFM UEGO2000 wideband A/F monitor with playback $400

DRIVETRAIN

-ASTRO PERFORMANCE BUILT T-5, 500 miles on it.

Built to support up to 450 Torque / 550HP @ Flywheel. Transmission features a 2.95 1st Gear Ratio with a "Fuel Efficient" .62 Overdrive. Transmission features a 26 Spline Input Shaft with a Factory/OEM 28 Spline Output Shaft. Available for 1985-93 Ford Mustang, or if specified 1994-95 Ford Mustang 5.0L. Aside from A-5 Speed 1st-4th Gear Kit used in build, All Bearings, Synchronizer Rings, Seals, Small Parts Kit, and 7T Speedo Drive Gear are used. All A-5 Speed Transmissions now come with Upgraded Cluster Support Plate installed to help Transmission is Sold on A Mandatory Core Exchange Basis. Core Exchange Basis follows the same Guidelines/Procedures of our Rebuilt T-5 Transmissions.

-Centerforce dual friction, STAGE 3 clutch
-Pro 5.0 Shifter
-FMS Aluminum driveshaft
-Lakewood driveshaft loop (In box, not installed)
-FMS 3.73’s
-Auburn Posi, 1 year old
-5 lug conversion
-Slotted Rotors
-new d&d motorsports tubular k-member, new tie rod, ball joints
-17X9 Cobra wheels and tires (OEM)

SUSPENSION

-FMS “C” SPRINGS
-TOKICO 5 WAY ADJUSTABLE STRUTS
-Maximum Motorsports full length Sub Frame connectors
-Maximum Motorsports Tubular K Member

INTERIOR

-Black cloth interior, kinda rare most are Grey
-Kenwood CD player with ipod input
-Pillar mounted pod with Boost and Fuel Pressure
-Steering column mounted UEGO wideband display

Well I drove my car for about a year from cali to Arizona(41/2) hour drive)every other week with a supercharger and had it one for 3 years and it was a DD. Had no problems. Didn't waste any more gas than my brothers car that was mostly stock. It just depends on your driving habits and your right foot.

I had a supercharged 95 GT that I drove quite often. Your gas mileage wont really be a factor if you stay out of the boost. If the car runs good then there is no reason you cant drive it often.

Reactions: 1 user
There is alot of variables in this situation.
Such as price and condition of the car, who did the work.

Had i been 18, i'd buy that car for a DD if it had a vortech, not a POS powerdyne (that is near impossible to get fixed correctly).
But if i was older and if i had a family that would rely on me for transportation, i'd steer clear.

It's a heavily modded car, and must be treated as so, you always have to be on the look out for potential problems. A blown HG on a weekend car is no biggie, one on your DD is a serious problem.

Then you have your driving habits, if you are going to beat the hell out of it, stuff is going to happen. And with that much power, there is always the potential for total engine destruction. If you are the kinda guy that is paycheck to paycheck, that is also something to consider, because if the engine lets go, you will have a pile of expensive scrap metal and you'll be taking the bus.

Then you have weather conditions to contend with, that car certainly won't be fun in the rain, more like dangerous. Ya, ya,ya, i know some guys say they drive theirs daily and they do fine, and i'm sure they do, but newer cars are far superior in bad weather conditions. Something i didn't realize until i moved on till a new daily driver.

So IMO, i feel that you would be better off with a bit more mild of a setup, probably something NA, but then again i truely don't think foxbodies make good daily drivers pretty much at all anymore.
Although it does sound like a great car to tool around in as a toy on the weekends.

BTW, you list the car as having a MM K member and a D&D k member.

Had i been 18, i'd buy that car for a DD if it had a vortech, not a POS powerdyne (that is near impossible to get fixed correctly).
But if i was older and if i had a family that would rely on me for transportation, i'd steer clear.

It's a heavily modded car, and must be treated as so, you always have to be on the look out for potential problems. A blown HG on a weekend car is no biggie, one on your DD is a serious problem.

Then you have your driving habits, if you are going to beat the hell out of it, stuff is going to happen. And with that much power, there is always the potential for total engine destruction. If you are the kinda guy that is paycheck to paycheck, that is also something to consider, because if the engine lets go, you will have a pile of expensive scrap metal and you'll be taking the bus.

Then you have weather conditions to contend with, that car certainly won't be fun in the rain, more like dangerous. Ya, ya,ya, i know some guys say they drive theirs daily and they do fine, and i'm sure they do, but newer cars are far superior in bad weather conditions. Something i didn't realize until i moved on till a new daily driver.

So IMO, i feel that you would be better off with a bit more mild of a setup, probably something NA, but then again i truely don't think foxbodies make good daily drivers pretty much at all anymore.
Although it does sound like a great car to tool around in as a toy on the weekends.

I agree with what you said, I currently drive an 87 gt thats pretty much stock besides exhaust and a couple engine mods. The car does have a lot of body damage and other problems. I bought that car when I was 18 and I sure did get into trouble with it. I am a couple years out of college with a great well paying job so I have been thinking of upgrading to either a new mustang or some unique fox body. Also since my current car needs so much work I was thinking of buying a better condition one. That car is probablay more then I need and not safe as a DD, I think part of my is just day dreaming.

That car should be used as a weekend crusier not a DD, either way I think I will check it out and see how well its put together. The guy wants 7,500 for it and I think thats pretty good but we will see,

Thanks for your input, I appricate it!

Have you driven a new mustang yet?
You can get into the 13's, bone stock, stock rubber.
And makes for a much better ride on a daily basis.
Couple bolt ons and you got low 13's.
Used 05+ pricings are coming down quickly, and at about 20mpg (normal numbers), it will certainly be more consistant on gas than an old foxbody, and you won't have to worry about taking it on long trips or blowing it up.
I'd also suspect if you had that car for a DD, you would be putting enough into it each month that you could of put the $7500 down on the new car, and you'd still be spending the same each month.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a foxbody lover, and i really feel like it was the last of the true muscle cars, no Traction control, no or few airbags, no antiloc brakes, extremely lightweight. But all the things that make it fun, make it tough to bear everyday.

You are right about the 05+ mustangs coming down in price and theres a good chance I will end up getting one of those and not another fox.

I agree I am a huge fox fan and like them more then any other mustang years, I've heard from many people and articles that the 87-93 mustangs were first true muscle car to return since the late 60's and early 70's.

Within a month or two I will probably make my desicion on what my next stang will be, I will post some pics of what I choose, either a fox or 05+.

I agree 100%

I'm sure you could DD a supercharged 5.0. But do you want to? I personally wouldn't.

Would the car handle it? If it's put together right and tuned it should be fine. Now, it the car was slapped together and stumbles and chokes and barely holds idle, that's another story. I've seen bolt on N/A 5.0's i wouldn't trust on a 5-mile drive....and then well put together cars i wouldn't mind taking on a 300-mile trip.