Supercharger tune question

Mattstang04

15 Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I'm curious if I put on a supercharger with 60 lb injectors, a slot style MAF in a blow thru 3" housing and have it all tuned to work nicely together, can i remove the supercharger and run the same MAF and injectors without retuning?

Retrofit the MAF into a lightning housing and slide it into a cold air kit.

Will she run or does it require a retune?

• Sponsors (?)

You will still need a tune. Anytime you make significant changes to air and fuel, you will need to tune. Your EEC has no idea what to do with a non-factory MAF or injectors.

Mass air systems operate by sampling the mass of air being ingested. That mass of air is met with the appropriate amount of fuel. If injectors are oversized then air and fuel will be "off". Changing the mass air meter will also cause it to be "off".

I follow that. My question is whether a car that had been tuned to accept the injectors and maf with a supercharger can operate correctly without the supercharger.

The existing tune would account for the different injectors and maf. But the significant change would be the removal of the supercharger from the vehicle and the same maf being moved to a different housing and location. Plus the maf would now be a draw thru in NA form, as opposed to being used as blow thru in the supercharged setup.