Surging is basically gone! 6AL and plug wires...

gcomfx.com

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Republic, MO
Well guys, my surging problem is all but gone. Just a small hint of it, but it's rare now.

The fix was either my new plug wires, or the used 6AL box I added. Nothing else was changed. I just received my new Timing Control Module, I'll be adding it this w/e. Hopefully my goals of 13's N/A and 12's on the juice with street tires will happen on May 21st when my Car Club takes over the local track. :nice: :nice:

BTW - I added the 6AL to the kickpanel in the car. It HAS to move. That thing is annoying loud. Works, but loud. :notnice: I've got to figure out where to move it to keeping in mind that I'll have to mount the box for the Timing Module too. Under the aircleaner is out. I want to move my Zex kit there. I still have my battery in the stock location and really dont' want to lose the trunk space (my car is really a grocery getter) I'm not sure about the firewall behind the brake boost. I heard it gets hot there, and the noise will probably feed through the dash. :shrug:

There is a descent spot in the trunk next to the fold down seats. Mounting it vertical beside the seat. Both boxes will fit. I'm just worried about having it that close to a speaker. :(

Any other ideas? Also, I'm thinking of losing the cig lighter in the ashtray. See if I can mount the timing control knob up through the circle. What do you think? If it would fit right, it would be very James Bond like since I have the switch panel in there. :D

Where did you guys mount your extra modules for the 6AL boxes?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah my problems went away when I installed my crane ignition + coil as well.

I mounted the box on the p/s strut tower vertically so it would be easy for me to adjust the revlimiter.

I have my 6al on the firewall by the brake booster, no issues yet and if you dont want to move the batt. its really about the only place.

As far as the knob, I made a plexiglass piece that fits in were the ash tray goes, I mounted my tweecer knob (changes the tune, up to 4 with a shut off) and also put a bottle warmer switch and switch for a line lock (dont have one yet but plan on putting it to the switch). I used 1/4 plexiglass and it actually is held in by a little tab that is there from the factory so it stays tight and snug. I painted the back side black and etched 5 lines around the tweecer knob and painted them so I could tell were the tune was (would be good also for use with a timing mark if there is not a sticker or some kind of overlay).

slytherin said:
Man you are talkin about 1 1/2 cubic feet(or about 2 1gallon jugs of milk with the summit kit) of space moving your battery to the trunk, I would do it IMO. put your groceries on the back seat.

1.5 cubic foot x2 for the bottle... it adds up... well subtracts real quick. By the time I put luggage, three sets of cameras, helmets, one of my drag tires (other goes in the back seat) and some tools... I really don't want to take up any more space. :(

blksn955.o said:
I have my 6al on the firewall by the brake booster, no issues yet and if you dont want to move the batt. its really about the only place.

Did you just tap into the black plastic piece or did you remove it to do the install? I'm not 100% sure what's behind the thing. :p

Also on the knob, I'm more worried about where to put the module box than the switch. :D

you can mount it on the passenger side strut tower the side facing the engine I just had to loosen up the fuel lines punched where I needed to drill my holes for the four screws and drilled it (90 degree drill helps) without having to relocate battery.

gcomfx.com said:
Did you just tap into the black plastic piece or did you remove it to do the install? I'm not 100% sure what's behind the thing. :p

Also on the knob, I'm more worried about where to put the module box than the switch. :D

Yes I marked it were I wanted it, center punched it, then drilled a small starter/guide hole and installed. I only have 3 screws holding it in though as there is a angle at one corner and a screw just would not cut it. I am thinking of getting some small dia. pcv and a long screw and paint the pcv black to get that last screw in there though. NO issues yet though and it seems to be mounted preaty solid even with 3 screws.