Suspension gurus help me out!

walter

Founding Member
Aug 13, 1998
Houston TX
heh not that desperate but I have a quick question about the setup I'm trying to achieve.

I'd like to keep my car a nice daily / auto-x / drift / road racer but with the focus obviously for now is on the dd and auto-x first and foremost. While I'm saving up for the 10K GRIGGS racing Uber suspension designed and built in Area 51 by aliens I have (sadly) very little to play with in terms of money so I was thinking about changing those things that will help maximize the stock setup to help me turn a little better.

I'm thinking:

Steeda G-trac brace
BMR chrome-moly non adjustable LCA's
BMR panhard bar (non adjustable type)
BMR panhard brace
and perhaps in the future a set of Steeda Sway bars

now my thing was to get a watts linkage but I priced this setup and it fixes all problems for the cost of such link. What do you guys think will it work?

Also I heard that it is possible to lower just the rear a little what are your thoughts on that and how can I got about getting that done with these mods?

THANKS! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I agree an adjustable upper will be better this way you can adjust pinion angles when vehicle is lowered and pick up better power planting under load. As for brands I can't help you out I was determined to go with FRPP handling pack so I didn't do any research into anything else, however as far as suspensions in general for best handling your goal would be to keep that rear end from swaying so a panhard bar would be nice, the lower arms. as for lowering make sure that your lower front control arms and tie rods run parallel to eliminate bump steer and best center of gravity being your changing the cars SAI. Thats why I chose the FRPP kit. What ever you choose good luck and have fun!! :nice:

Well I got a good deal on the g-trac brace and a BMR heavy duty panhard bar brace. that should be a good place to start without changing the geometry of the car. Too bad I'll get them after my next Auto-X i would have liked to see how the vehicle responds to these chassis mods especially the rear brace.

I just got some Roush Rear springs too. Found them on sale shipped for 95 bucks so couldn't pass that up :)

They should lower the back-end about 3/4 of an inch. Is that enough to throw the pinion out of balance?

I want LCA's don't want to mess with adjustability yet so I'll reserve that aspect for the UCA when I decide to go for it.

What brand do you guys find to be the best? (keeping in mind I'm a corner carver not a drag racer I even have a watts link on the way!).
I hear great things about the BMR chrome-moly tubulars but the J&Ms pivot ball bushing design seems to be an innovative design.

I like my BMR's and have heard many good things. I know some people had a bad batch of bushings, but those were replaced for free. That said, J&M and CHE also make great products. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Anything with a spherical or race end is going to have more NVH than stock or poly bushings, but will be more functional.

That's the thing though it's not a metallic rod end spherical bushing it's a hard poly bushing surrounded by softer "caps" to make the car stiffer when launching or braking as opposed to cornering. The theory sounds interesting but I'd like to hear from actual customers.

i like my J&M arms. i have not had them on a road course, but they certainly seem to work as advertised. no additional noise, ride just like stock, except when you need them. the ball design works really good for me.

I have the J&M also. I ran my car at road america with them, no complants.
I cant give you a full inpression because it was raining that day but on the
off/on ramps on the street they feel solid and quiet. Great quality for the $$$