Suspension: Koni STR.T or Other Kit?

MattMan02GT

Jul 24, 2018
Albany, NY
The suspension is getting a little tired on my 02 GT Convertible, so now that I have my front end tightened up with all new bushings and ball joints I'd like to do the shocks/struts/springs and lower it a little. I figure it's either that or get some knobby mudding tires since I've got the clearance with stock springs :rolleyes:

Does anyone have experience with this exact Koni kit with Eibach springs? The 1125 1086

This is the best price I've been able to find so far, but everyone seems to use a stock photo that shows the fronts as coilovers. I'm assuming they are standard separate struts and springs and will email the company. I'm not looking to get crazy and do coilovers and drop it 3" for autocross even though I'd enjoy doing that, the car is my daily driver during spring, summer, and fall and roads are garbage here in NY despite the taxes. I drive a lot of windy roads to work and do have a heavy foot, though lol.

I have about $500 to spend on this right now and I'm hoping going with the 1" drop I can hold off on CC plates and still get the alignment close. Do any of you guys and gals have experience with this kit or similar you can share? Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I've been doing a little more digging and see it's commonly recommended when lowering the car to use Foxbody struts and shocks. Tire rack actually has an even better price on the strut, shock, and springs kit whether you go with sn95 or Fox stuff. Not sure if the fox springs are even shorter than the SN95 variants though. I'm hoping someone here with experience can chime in on the Koni Str.t performance on these cars

Fox

SN95

I have Koni STR.Ts on my 2K GT convertible (stock springs)...they were a great upgrade from the worn out OEM and are completely capable blasting around the local mountain twisties. I also installed bigger sway bars (SR brand).

The convertibles a bit heavier, so I'd expect a little more drop from a spring kit not spec'd for a convertible (noting Ford offers specific springs)...no personal experience, however, so offering that as something to consider and research.

Hey stormsedge I appreciate the input! Did you replace your stock springs and if so what are you running? You can actually order that Koni kit bundled with Eibach springs and specify if it's for a coupe or convertible, so it appears they are accounting for our girl's added heft

Should I worry about ordering any other hardware or parts to go along with the install? I see you can get new poly isolators for the front and rear springs as well as strut tower bushings.

I figured on getting a caster/camber bolt kit that claims it gives for adjustment than stock to account for the 1" drop