suspension mods

brian98gt

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2002
new jersey
well i'm just about done with the performance mods for now. i'm considering in the future to rebuild the engine with forged internals and have the heads and intake ported and polished and a new set of cams, but for now, i want to try and get the horsepower i have to the ground. there are so many suspension parts and companies so i'm looking for some suggestions for control arms, springs and such. i'm looking for straight line performance.

• Sponsors (?)

Rear suspension should be first and foremost. HPM Mega Bite Jr's are the best lowers you can buy, but they are expensive. BBK lowers are inexpensive but not as heavy duty. You really don't need uppers at all, I know many cars running low 10's high 9's on stock Ford upper controls arms. I bought drag shocks, didn't notice anything but a decrease in ride quality. Don't forget a good pair of drag radials!!!

A good pair of drag struts and some polyurethane bushings will help the front suspension transfer some weight back to the rear.

what front struts should i look at. i've been browsing around and i'm not sure what to get. i see all out drag struts which i don't think i want. then there's 70/30 street strip struts and adjustable. i'm more interested in straight line performance, but i don't want to lose all driveability. what brands should i look at.

I heard the the stock Mach 1 struts are a great all around strut, and they are cheap. Dealers list on them is under 100 bucks. I know some 03-04 Cobra guys who have switched to them. I will buy them for my 96 Cobra in the spring.

SVT32VDOHC said:
I heard the the stock Mach 1 struts are a great all around strut, and they are cheap. Dealers list on them is under 100 bucks. I know some 03-04 Cobra guys who have switched to them. I will buy them for my 96 Cobra in the spring.

thanks, i'll check into that