Sve Drag Wheels..what Springs And Shocks?

tamadrummer88

Aug 19, 2005
Aloha State
So I'm still planning out parts of my cars' resurrection, and I've gotten to wheels. I really like the SVE drag wheels, i just love the badass look and stance they give the car, and they're pretty cheap too. The car will never see a drag strip (we don't have a drag strip here) so mainly its for looks. It won't be driven everyday either, so drag radials will be fine. Ill probably do a fox 5 lug conversion, and do the SVE cobra front brakes later, which means ill go with the 17x4.5 for the front to clear the calipers.

My question turns to springs and shocks. What shocks and springs will be good for this wheel setup? it won't see a drag strip ever, so i really don't need drag springs and struts. Ill probably be looking at a cheap set of 5 lug wheels off craigslist later so if i get bored of the look i can change to some street wheels later. All suspension components are bone stock. Ill probably be looking at a set of subframe connectors in a couple months too.

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Do you want a big drop or a good ride as there is a compromise. It will come down to that and budget. Personally, I don't like the 2" or more drop springs as they play all hell with the geometry 0f your car and it will ride like crap. Now this is my personal opinion and you will get 100 different other ones, but for a DD it is hard to beat a set of Tokico HP (blue) shocks and either H&R or Steeda springs. It will give you anywhere from 1-1.5" drop, ride a bit firmer, but much better handling. You can also look for stock Bullit or Mach 1 springs- they will drop the car about an inch and maintain a decent ride. If you have the money, a set of MM coilovers up front will produce the best results along with their weightjacker rears and a good set of springs and shocks.

My advice is to try and ride around in some cars that have different combinations.

Before you put on any different suspension, put the subframes on first.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you want a big drop or a good ride as there is a compromise. It will come down to that and budget. Personally, I don't like the 2" or more drop springs as they play all hell with the geometry 0f your car and it will ride like crap. Now this is my personal opinion and you will get 100 different other ones, but for a DD it is hard to beat a set of Tokico HP (blue) shocks and either H&R or Steeda springs. It will give you anywhere from 1-1.5" drop, ride a bit firmer, but much better handling. You can also look for stock Bullit or Mach 1 springs- they will drop the car about an inch and maintain a decent ride. If you have the money, a set of MM coilovers up front will produce the best results along with their weightjacker rears and a good set of springs and shocks.

My advice is to try and ride around in some cars that have different combinations.

Before you put on any different suspension, put the subframes on first.

Thank you for the advice. Personally, i don't like big drops myself. I had a set of FRPP springs on my 98 GT and it wasn't too low, nor too high. like 1 inch in the front and 3/4 inch on the rear. It was perfect. Coilovers would break the budget, but any shocks or struts would be good as everything is basically stock haha. Subframes probably would be done first, as they may take me a whole weekend to do.

I have an 89 vert. I put the eibach pro and kyb adjust shocks on years ago.
I also replaced all the front rubber bushings to poly style.
I still run turbine rims and BFG TA 225 60's
Wheel well lip. Front 24 1/2. Rear. 26 ish

Drop was about. 1 1/2 front. 1 rear

Know it's old school :)

They still it though at Summit

The ride is Much firmer but Not rough
It also has little to no body roll even at fast cornering.

I found your roads at least on the big island to be all mountain twisty so keep handling in mind as a priority.

I have an 89 vert. I put the eibach pro and kyb adjust shocks on years ago.
I also replaced all the front rubber bushings to poly style.
I still run turbine rims and BFG TA 225 60's
Wheel well lip. Front 24 1/2. Rear. 26 ish

Drop was about. 1 1/2 front. 1 rear

Know it's old school :)

They still it though at Summit

The ride is Much firmer but Not rough
It also has little to no body roll even at fast cornering.

I found your roads at least on the big island to be all mountain twisty so keep handling in mind as a priority.

I live on oahu. We don't have much twisty roads and the island is so damn crowded theres traffic at least every hour of the day, so handling isn't much of a priority, cause we can't go nowhere fast. Big island is much more spread out, so lots of nice twisty roads.

@Sharad I love the stance of your LX. What size are the weld Pro Stars, and suspension work? What brakes are you running?

Thanks! I'm running Holeshot Holestars, 15x4 front and 15x10 rear. Full UPR Pro Series suspension, Strange Pro Race brakes. Here are some articles I wrote about all of that. The combo has changed over the years, so the latest article shows the current combo:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te..._sheetmetal_9_inch_housing_rearend/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...ont_suspension_installation_part_5/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...ang_project_shocker_back_to_life/viewall.html

Current stance:

shockerthanksgiving_zpsef92ab50.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
@Sharad Thanks! Looks like you mini tubbed it. Dont wanna go that far hahaha. I think ill just stay with the 15x8 Drag wheels and the 17x4.5 on the front. Now i just have to figure out shocks and struts.

I only minitubbed it because I messed up when I ordered the rear end and the wheels. Measurement was off somewhere and the tires were hitting the inner fenderwells. I actually had 275/60-15s on it before I minitubbed it, and it was lowered then.

Pic here:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0910_1989_mustang_lx_upgraded/photo_01.html#

Sharad. Read your articles. That's one awesome build, and I do think the easier to adjust Strange suspension would be the what to go, it would help in future changes and perhaps different wheel configs....