SVO or 5.0?

foxbodymike87

Jul 12, 2011
hey guys..i just trying to decide wether to get an svo or another 5.0..

i think a built 2.3 turbo would be sweet but on the other hand its a 5.0 lol no need to say more.

just want some input on what would be best to have fun with.:D

• Sponsors (?)

For the most part I like the SVO as an alternative to the norm.
There are a few "wonky" details that I don't like, like the square single headlights and the double "merkur style" rear wing and spoiler.

If you've never had the turbo 4, you need to know that it will not perform like the V8 will however.

Power is peaky and occurs in a very narrow band. The thing will start to make (good) power at around 3500 RPM and have to be shifted @ 6k.

The 4 cyl turbo block can handle all kinds of boost, and there are several 300-500 whp examples (or more) of the things posted on you tube, and everywhere else.

If you want that kind of HP level, that power is in an even narrower band something like 4k-6k, so just as soon as it starts to really start honkin,' you have to shift. Then wait for the motor to get back into that band in the next gear.

And torque??? The thing that the 5.0 has even at idle??? The "side effect" of having 8 cylinders where you barely have to rev the motor before releasing the clutch, and makes the car driveable on a daily basis???

Well lets just say that turbo 4's didn't come with that as a factory installed option.:D

I was gonna go that route.

I have an entire SVO 4 cyl turbo combination on the floor in my garage...............sitting on the floor............just sitting.... not in my car.:rolleyes:

If you're in the position to get a SVO in GOOD shape at a reasonable price, I say go for it. It's super unique, has better brakes and suspension than a 5.0, and is really just a few PSI away from being a badass car. Like Mad Mike said, a turbo 4 is never going to have the off-idle torque that a V8 has, but with some upgrades to the engine and turbo system, those turbo 4s can be stupid fast. Look up John Huber's car. That thing is RETARDED fast, and it pulls something like 25 mpg. Of course, it's an extreme example, but it gives you an idea.

yeah ive seen it..that thing huals..like i said if i was to go SVO i was build it up with head cam and big turbo..i like to go fast!

and my current 5.0 isnt doin it for me..it goes hard 1-and half way through 3rd..then just lugs 4th and 5th

While i will always be a diehard 5.0 guy, if i'm at a car show and i see two identical cars and one has a nasty built 5.0 and the other is a nasty built 2.3, i'll likely spend more time looking at the 2.3 because they're so much less common. If i'm at the drag strip and two cars run identical times and one has a 5.0 and the other has a 2.3, i'll be more impressed with the 2.3 for doing it with half the engine. I had my go at 2.3 fun with my Merkur, and if i could have afforded two toys i would've gone all out with that thing. You can make some crazy power with one for the price of an H/C/I for a 302.

SVO's are overrated. Sure they handle not badly, but they're a letdown everyplace else. Even the brakes that everyone raves about aren't all that impressive.

My buddy owned a pristine example of an '86 SVO for a while. Nice car...and the turbo gimmick was cool on paper, but it was a real turd on the street. Had a nice little rush when it started to come on, but it would have easily been walked by my mother’s minivan at the time before that. In any case, they’re nothing any bolt on 5.0L couldn't annihilate with ease.

Oh...and you'd better have feet smaller than Barbie herself if you plan on driving it on a daily basis. Those friggin pedals are so close together, your feet are always getting tripped up in them.

If you want to buy it as a collector and leave it stock and run it back and forth to car shows as a conversation piece, by all means grab it up. If you want an actual driver, stick with the 5.0L. Waaaaaay more bang for the buck and you won't be chopping up a collectable car should you decide to "tinker" with it.

I also wouldn't worry too much about how they run in stock trim unless you plan on leaving it stock. The reality is that a 3 inch down pipe and exhaust, a decent front mount innercooler and a manual boost controller will allow you to run 20psi and it will be a different car.