Swapped Dual Quad for a Quick Fuel Carb setup - problems

Takt

Jul 14, 2004
Madison, WI
Over the weekend I switched out a dual quad high rise carb setup for a single quick fuel carb with edlebrock intake.

I don't know what I did, but I can't get the car to run correctly. Initially after the swap, the car would run like crap at 2,000 rpm, but when it went under that, it died. I figured I screwed something up in the timing when I put the distributor back in.

So, I took out spark plug of one, took off the distro cap and had my daughter turn it over. I get compression when pointer is at one. I'd turn the distributor all the way clockwise and it would run like crap (as said). If I turned the distributor all the way counter clockwise, it acted like one of the cylinders was firing on the compression stroke (too early).

I was told I should pull the distributor up slightly and turn counter clockwise and then turn motor over so it slides down. I did that.

Now I can't get the thing to even start.

So ... my question. What the hell do I do from here? I assume go back, take out C1 spark plug and make sure the distributor is pointing to 1 with the compression stroke. Make sure the timing marks are at 0 at the same time.

From there? Any suggestions?

Oh, I did take off the valve covers when 1 was at compression and both valve springs were "up".

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Everytime I try to describe this process, I get grief. But, I'll try again.
First of all, keep in mind that getting the distributor to sit down right is a PITA. It can take longer than you think it should, and can be VERY frustrating.
But, if you can manually turn the engine over so that you are on TDC #1, then you want to try and put the distrbutor back in, so that the rotor is under where the #1 plug would be, and the vacuum advance is roughtly in line with the center of the engine valley.
If it pops hard and tries to backfire, then you are probably 180 degrees out, or the rotor is pointing to the #6 cylinder VS the #1, or the other way around. A quick way tobe sure is if your timing pointer is pointing at "0" degrees when you are at TDC.

See my disclaimer below. Apparently I have been lacking in attention to detail lately. I'm sure others will chime in and tell you how they do it..

Everytime I try to describe this process, I get grief. But, I'll try again.
First of all, keep in mind that getting the distributor to sit down right is a PITA. It can take longer than you think it should, and can be VERY frustrating.
But, if you can manually turn the engine over so that you are on TDC #1, then you want to try and put the distrbutor back in, so that the rotor is under where the #1 plug would be, and the vacuum advance is roughtly in line with the center of the engine valley.
If it pops hard and tries to backfire, then you are probably 180 degrees out, or the rotor is pointing to the #6 cylinder VS the #1, or the other way around. A quick way tobe sure is if your timing pointer is pointing at "0" degrees when you are at TDC.

The pointer will be at zero at both the TDC's in the firing sequence. It must be at zero on the top of the compression stroke to be correctly timed. What is often overlooked is the distributor shaft turn slightly when the gears mesh, throwing the timing off. The shaft must be turned slightly to take into this movement when deciding on what tooth to engage it with when sticking the distributor in. The best way I've found to set the initial timing is to stab the distributor in with the rotor pointed at the #1 plug terminal, then align the pointer with the timing mark you want it set at(I shoot for 12-14*BTDC)then with the ignition on and the #1 plug wire grounded to where you can see a spark jump, slowly move the distributor back and forth and watch for the spark, when the spark occurs, the pointer should be pointing where you want it on the balancer marks. At this point you can lock the distributor down and fine tune the timing after gettting the engine running and the carb tuned.

that kinda sounds like a vacuum leak. Since you just replaced the intake when this started, it seems very possible. If the timing was off, I don't think extra rpm would help much.