Swapped rear ends... whew....

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
I pulled out the completly stock original rear out of my 88GT with it's original 2.73 gear and worn traction lock and stock control arms, stock springs with the only upgrade being some Monroe shocks. I installed to the one that was in my 90GT that has 3.73 gears and rebuilt traction lock in the alternate pattern, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, HPM Megabite double adjustable UCA's, Lakewood 50/50's and Moroso Drag Springs.

Let me tell you, doing this on the garage floor by yourself is a real MOFO, I'd rather swap engines or even transmissions. Getting them out wasn't that bad, the e-brake cable assembly was so frustrating to me, even though I have done quite a few, I never get used to it, I just don't like it. I HATE ford drum brakes! I am defintly going to do a 5-lug with 4wheel disc in the near furture. Getting the "new" 8.8 in is bad enough by yourself as it tires to shift every way but sunday getting the control arm bolts lined up. Definatly get a freind, this would make it much easier. To make matters worse some jackleg welded the flows (only mod to the car when I got it) directly to the H-pipe and the mufflers were in the way and really a PITA to remove the mufflers, but I was able to get just enough room by loosening the hangers. Aftermarket control arms, are not plyable like the stockers so everything had to be lined up just right or they were not going in. Try this with no help, it really sucks as you need to position the assembly as you drive in the bolt. Got that in and all tight. Put in the springs and these Moroso units are quite a bit longer than stockers, and I am not going to like, I have spring-phobia where a binding spring absolutly terrifies me, as I have seen what a spring can do when potential energy goes kenitic unexpectedly.

Got everything bolted on and put it on the ground. I have to say the car just sits differently, and looks much more solid. Driving it was limited due to rain, and sleeping neighors, but wow. So much more solid, like a whole different car. Hit the gas and the rear doesn't dip a bit, it seemed to hook even in the wet. Chatters like a solid spool in the cold-a-sac. I can't wait to drive it on some dry pavement!

Next up.... bye, bye AOD, got to make room for the TKO500 and Spec III clutch. The pedal assembly is in already.... :)

I'm happy! :)

• Sponsors (?)

I know how you feel. I did my ENTIRE AOD to T5 swap alone and removed and reinstalled my rear alone too....all on 4 jackstands while on my back

Result of working alone was trip to the emergency room, almost cutting off my finger and losing some range of motion to this day in it :(

I know how you feel. I did my ENTIRE AOD to T5 swap alone and removed and reinstalled my rear alone too....all on 4 jackstands while on my back

Result of working alone was trip to the emergency room, almost cutting off my finger and losing some range of motion to this day in it :(

same exact experience, almost cut my thumb off, but its was fun, just like bench pressing :rolleyes:

Yeah, the auto to manual swap is up next but that one I'm definatly doing at the shop. How in the hell did you guys cut yourselves?

Some jobs by yourself make it twice as hard. On your back easily two to three times as hard, combine being by yourself on the garage floor, you multiply those two factors. Lacking proper tools can really, really suck.

Damn this car is kind of fun to drive! It really pulls now. I think it might be able to beat my pickup truck now! When I hit the gas, it goes. It doesnt dip and lurch along like it used to. Doesn't feel like slush in the back anymore! Kind of noisy but well worth it. It drives like a completly differerent car now. Handles a lot better, or should I say just feels much more secure.

Yeah, the auto to manual swap is up next but that one I'm definatly doing at the shop. How in the hell did you guys cut yourselves?

Some jobs by yourself make it twice as hard. On your back easily two to three times as hard, combine being by yourself on the garage floor, you multiply those two factors. Lacking proper tools can really, really suck.

Damn this car is kind of fun to drive! It really pulls now. I think it might be able to beat my pickup truck now! When I hit the gas, it goes. It doesnt dip and lurch along like it used to. Doesn't feel like slush in the back anymore! Kind of noisy but well worth it. It drives like a completly differerent car now. Handles a lot better, or should I say just feels much more secure.

i was lazy and cheap and didnt want to buy the tool for turning in the rear calipers so i ground some teeth into a socket and attatched it to an impact gun while i was holding the caliper the socket came loose and tore into my thumb taking the end off of it and folding it back, almost the most blood ive ever seen come out of me

I have swapped axle housings by myself probably a dozen times. I can probably do it in 4 hours now.

Couple of suggestions. The same drum brakes work on both 7.5 and 8.8 axles. So pull the cover, the cross pin and the c clips. Then pull the axles. You can now unbolt the brake backing plates, with the ebrake cables and hydraulics intact. Hang them by coat hanger wire.

This also makes the axle lighter to install.

Install the upper arm bolts first. Then the lowers. I use a come along to pull the axle into alignment if needed, and a large drift to align the bolts.

Then install the brakes and the axles.

Kind of a pain, but this way I don't need help to bleed the brakes.

I was bench pressing the T-5 into place. Almost had it in, lost my grip, trans slipped and came down on my index finger. It basically free fell all 75 pounds right onto it. Finger was a squirter i'll tell ya :)

Next time i'm pulling a trans...i'm buying one of these. I'd rather have my fingers than the $100-200 or so one of these cost

41HSADCE6BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Wow, glad everyone still has all thier apendages. :eek:

I have swapped axle housings by myself probably a dozen times. I can probably do it in 4 hours now.

Couple of suggestions. The same drum brakes work on both 7.5 and 8.8 axles. So pull the cover, the cross pin and the c clips. Then pull the axles. You can now unbolt the brake backing plates, with the ebrake cables and hydraulics intact. Hang them by coat hanger wire.

This also makes the axle lighter to install.

Install the upper arm bolts first. Then the lowers. I use a come along to pull the axle into alignment if needed, and a large drift to align the bolts.

Then install the brakes and the axles.

Kind of a pain, but this way I don't need help to bleed the brakes.

I might try it this way next time.

ive done about 4 tranny swaps... and one aod to t5 swap.. all by myself with 4 jacks... feels good doing something like that ur self! i wouldnt want to do a rear that sounds like a pain! i hate messing with springs and compressing them etc... i had a shop put ford C springs in my last car for $150! Something i rather pay for! nice job tho!

ive done about 4 tranny swaps... and one aod to t5 swap.. all by myself with 4 jacks... feels good doing something like that ur self! i wouldnt want to do a rear that sounds like a pain! i hate messing with springs and compressing them etc... i had a shop put ford C springs in my last car for $150! Something i rather pay for! nice job tho!

swapping over a rear end is easier than changing out a transmission. (atleast for me). taking of the exhaust and all that to do the tranny sucks.

the rear end is just drop the lowers and the shocks and you're basically home free.

one time i pulled the rear end out 10 times while i was setting up my gears(note you don't have to take it out to do gears), that was a pain, and will never do that again, its so much easier to pay someone 200 bucks.

Had my first bit of fun with it. Last night some guy in an newer altima 3.5 kept messing around thinking he found a stock auto 5.0 to show his girlfreind how fast his car was. Top end on those cars is pretty decent so at the third light I said "really?" then when the light went green I let him take a hood then embarrassed the hell out of him to the tune of at least two busses and he couldnt' catch up. No, I didn't go all out, shut it down at 55. First kill with this car. I wish I had the drag radials on there so I could have powerbraked it.