Swapping gears. Should I do the Trac-Loc too?

GRGT1994

Sep 22, 2004
So I'm gonna do my gears this spring. Going from stock to 4.10 on my 5 speed '94 'vert. I am leaning toward doing the trac-loc and all the bearing while I am in there too. But I am wondering if it's over kill to do all that, or should I just do the gears now and leave the rest until it needs to be done.

The car has 92,000 miles on it, and is bone stock (except for the cat back exhaust and MGW shifter that I put on it in the last year). The car does not do the one wheel peel yet.

I guess I could save some work if I just left the trac-loc alone, and only do the bearing that need it. Any thoughts?

Oh, by the way, I am doing the install myself.

• Sponsors (?)

When I got my gears, I rebuilt the rear with the exception of the trak-loc (used all the bearings, etc in the install kit plus new axle bearings), only cuz my funds were running thin cuz of other simultaneous projects. If you can afford to rebuild the trak-loc while you're in there, why not? It's peace of mind if you ask me. Just cuz your stang isnt doin any one-wheeling yet doesn't tell you how long you have till it starts.

Ya, that's kind of what I was thinking. But . . . A rebuild trac-loc is not necessarily better than a well functioning broken in one. That's because the new fiction plates wear down a bit in the first several thousand miles, loosening it up a bit. So you might have to go back in there to re-shim it.

Adding 410's the Trac-Loc will take a dump before you know it....Lets face it...with gears 1/2 the fun is blowing the tires away easier... :D
I did my first install of 355s and not the clutches...before long the one wheels were there...I tore it apart in an a/noon added the kit( 4 clutch set-up) and the stock S spring..Then last year I swapped in 373s....its still solid...Point being...spend the 50.00 for the kit and do it while its down anyway...you can do the 4 clutch and the F150 S spring for a beefier unit..cheapo upgrade really..It'll be plenty stout.
I still run the 72k bearings and all in mine....looked fine 13k ago when the 355s went in...and they still looked mint when i did the 373s....I would repalce the axle and pinion seals though...cheap money there....