Drivetrain 1988 T5 Grinding going into 2nd gear, '92 Camaro transmission swap or parts?

I like the 78-81 Z28’s. I like the molded in bumpers compared to the earlier versions of that generation
I think its what you grow up with....... I was accustomed to one thing and the change in the mid 70's was quite dramatic... 5 MPH bumpers, NO gas, NO horsepower, some big changes in the mid 70's up..... We had just come from the horsepower, muscle car wars of the 60's-Early 70's, some of the greatest cars ever built and everything to do with cars changed overnite it seemed.... Remember these cars are in museums now selling for seven figures into the multi millions......... I always say I was lucky to come of age at the best time for a gearhead ever.....
Even the cops closed up our weekend cruise strip...... Pretty sure nowadays we could of sued them and won for 1st amendment rights....

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Seems to be a lot of sacrelige going on in this thread.....

1717938829522.png

:p
LOL I don't want to get kicked off here, but the ONLY reason I have a fox body is I inherited it... Sorry..
Have I enjoyed working on it? Have I enjoyed conversing with everyone here? Will I have fun with it? YES to all of the above...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I guess I should have known by that taller spoiler
Not real hip on those years differences all the way yet
Everyone I knew had one..... We Gradiated up from 55-57 chevys to these...
70 was the real LT1, 71-72 were the same engine with lower compression, and 73 was completely different, more of a standard SBC with a QJet carb and iron intake.....

Seems to be a lot of sacrelige going on in this thread.....

1717938829522.png

:p

lol. My daily driver is a GM product. 110k miles and I haven’t done a thing to it other than routine maintainance. Been the most reliable vehicle I’ve owned.

Wife drives a Honda.

Until Ford throws me a sponsorship, I’ll shop around ;)

• Agree
No worries, just thought it'd be funny to give some :poo:,

We Gradiated up from 55-57 chevys to these...

I'm kinda going the opposite direction. ;)

20240504_201543.jpg

I inherited this when my dad was killed in 1983. It's a 55 150. Dad had a 327 4 speed from I think a 63 or 4 Impala. All I remember of it is it had a "3/4" cam, an old Edelbrock dual plane with the center divider milled, and headers through some Thrush mufflers. I've got a plan for it, but that's all I can say for it at the moment. Of course, I gotta get some other stuff done in order to ACTUALLY do anything with any of them....

Reactions: 2 users
Believe it or not, there is some " old guy " truth to the 3/4 cam... It was a cam used on the " old " 3/4 mile ovals......
In the late 60's early 70's, I gradiated in 73, Tri Five Chevys werent that old....
I can't find it but I had a pic of a woman in a minivan and written on her window was " my son done gradiated today" from some HIgh School....
Great project you have Lilcbra.. I hope it has a better home now than your pic shows.. 2dr 55 wagons are very rare....

Last edited:
Believe it or not, there is some " old guy " truth to the 3/4 cam... It was a cam used on the " old " 3/4 mile ovals......
In the late 60's early 70's, I gradiated in 73, Tri Five Chevys werent that old....
I can't find it but I had a pic of a woman in a minivan and written on her window was " my son done gradiated today" from some HIgh School....
Great project you have Lilcbra.. I hope it has a better home now than your pic shows.. 2dr 55-56 wagons are very rare....

No, that pic is current. That's why I've been working on the house the last few years. That gave me time to get my finances squared away a bit better than they were when the ex-wife had her stab at taking the place from me. There was stuff that I had to get done to the house, then - as all things do - they snowballed. The last time I tried to get a home improvement loan I got denied because the house didn't have siding on it. I told them that that was one of the reasons for the damned loan! I guess it worked to my favor since the house has only gained equity, the mortgage balance is a few grand lower, and I've gotten a few raises since. If all goes to plan, I'll be working on a refi later this year then work will begin on getting a garage put up where that pic was taken. :cross:

That wagon is the next best thing to a Nomad
I'd sink some money into that wagon straight away
Leave the rust and body alone for now and get it running good
Worth some dough just the way it sits
I'd get it running and drive it some
I like the 78-81 Z28’s. I like the molded in bumpers compared to the earlier versions of that generation
I sure get a kick out of watching the old Pontiac commercials about their rubberized plastic bumpers
The guy took a crow bar and beat the bumper real hard, several times, the bumper was okay = very cool

I'm hoping to have enough space that they can all be under a roof. The cars are sitting on the pad I had poured for the upcoming 30x40 garage. Here's the Google satellite image to give it a little better perspective - the wagon is on the upper left corner.

1718027329388.png

Funny thing is that the plan is almost exactly that to begin with - update the frame and chassis, LS swap, replace the floors while it's off the frame, then get some semblence of an interior so you could actually ride in it. Then, from there, it's all cosmetic.

I don't know exactly when dad bought it, but here's me in front of his best friend's wagon back then. My wagon is the one in the background in front of their new 73 or 4 Vega GT.

1718027895631.jpeg

Some cosmetic tips for your build:

1718027055540.png

Follow me for more tips and recipes. :nice:

Funny thing is that I've thought about doing something like that for Halloween! Haul it down and sit it in the front yard with a skeleton behind the wheel was always my idea though.....

My recommendation is to get one of those $99 dollar 10 X 20 canopies from Harbor freight,, It keeps the rain off and lets it dry out.. Tarps tend to keep the moisture trapped causing rust.....
The canopies only last a couple or years but the best temporary cover I know of....
OOPS, price has gone up under this adminstration that tells us how great we are doing....

Last edited:
I would but it's so close to having a garage again I can't see spending the money. Besides, it's lived a good portion of it's 69 years in the weather - another few months isn't going to kill it. I'll have to wait til I get home to search for them, but I've got some more pics of it. Aside from that, maybe we should migrate this to another thread - I think we've hijacked this one enough! Lol

I would but it's so close to having a garage again I can't see spending the money. Besides, it's lived a good portion of it's 69 years in the weather - another few months isn't going to kill it. I'll have to wait til I get home to search for them, but I've got some more pics of it. Aside from that, maybe we should migrate this to another thread - I think we've hijacked this one enough! Lol
Not me, my last post here had a Fox Body in it....

• Haha