swapping to 5 speed need help

jozan

Aug 26, 2005
my aod is dying going to bury it in the back yard this weekend i need the pedals will ones out of a 4cyl car work i know the trannys are different i have all that just went to the jy and all they had was 2 2.3 the rest were autos:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It is a pretty straight forward swap. All you need are the tranny, flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, pedals, and shifter. Most everything else should remain. Most designs of quadrants are good and with a decent firewall adjuster you can use the stock style cable. You should have no issues with the 4 cyl pedals... Make sure you address the neutral safety switch or it will never start. I just jumped the wires in my harness. Also, Ford believe it or not, used the same wiring harness on both auto and 5spd so everything plugs in to the pedals without issue. You just need to fish the wires out of the dash. That is only needed if you need the clutch pedal engaged to start. I personally left mine as is so I didn't need to press the clutch pedal every time I need to start but the techies at the track may have a diff idea.

Let me know if you have any questions. I had a couple buddies come over and we did everything in one day's time.

LB

Q Will a 4-banger pedal assembly work in a 5.0L Mustang?
A Yes and no. A 4-banger pedal assembly frame will work. However, the clutch pedal arm is shorter on a 4-banger Mustang. You can use a 4-banger pedal frame with a 5.0L clutch arm.

if thats wrong someone let me know!

where did you hear this? I'd be VERY surprised if there is anything different all all, as it wouldn't make sense, however who knows, but they'll work just fine.

FIORE quadrant and fwa, hands down best on the market, read my link in my sig, but agreed, DO install the quadrant before you install the brake/clutch pedal assmbly.

treat this as 2 projects. install the clutch pedal assmbly one weekend, and drive it for a week, then do the rest of the work the next week. the clutch pedal swap can be a bear, and for a first timer, will take the bulk of a saturday.

Also, grab the t5 harness from the 4 banger also. it's the same as the v8 harness, and it's essential to make your backup lights come on and the neutral safety work right.

it runs from the pass kick, through the door sill plate, under the carpet, around the back of the front seat, and into the hole in the trans tunnel. It's a plug and play into your existing wiring harness, the connector ends are already there.

after fighting clutch cables and the like
i HIGHLY reccomend a good quadrant AND an ADJUSTABLE cable. MAKE YOUR ADJUSTMENT in the cable. having an adjustable cable actually changes the length of the cable, rather than just putting tension on it to take up slack like the Firewall adjuster does. some people get both but its no neccesary. just makes it more of a PITA to adjust.

making the adj at the cable is not necessary imo, and creates much more work. The adj cables are all junk too compared to the stocker non adj cables. it's a lot easier to turn a dial under the hood than jack up the car, jack stand it, pull off the cable housing and bust out the wrenches just to adjust. I've used both systems, and imo there is no advantage to the adj cable method. Just my .02

making the adj at the cable is not necessary imo, and creates much more work. The adj cables are all junk too compared to the stocker non adj cables. it's a lot easier to turn a dial under the hood than jack up the car, jack stand it, pull off the cable housing and bust out the wrenches just to adjust. I've used both systems, and imo there is no advantage to the adj cable method. Just my .02

Agreed... I've done it both ways and i like the firewall adjuster better. You can do changes on the fly; if you don't like the pedal, lift the hood and adjust. Not only that, most auto part stores sell the stock non-adj cable so if you need one, you won't have to wait to get it shipped.

LB