SWAPS

I find it of intrest to hear people complain about some one putting a GM motor in a ford vehical. I do not hear the same complaints when some one intalls a 9 inch or a 8.8 in any other vehicals for the performance of said part. I never hear any one complain when some one installs a PG or a th350 or 400 trans behind a ford of mopar because of the advantage. I think all of the big three factory race cars come with a mix and match of parts. I have done the 9inch in a GM and a SBC in my fox. All for the safety and performance advantage of the mix. What do you think

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly I've never understood the point in it. I've owned Camaros, Mustangs, El Camino's, and a host of others. Never saw a point in putting an engine or transmission from another manufacturer in any of them. That's just my opinion. I couldn't care less what someone does to their auto. It does get bloody irritating when people come on a mustang forum and ask advice about a shoving an ls in their fox though.

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking along the lines of making it bigger, faster, stronger and safer. I don't see after market builders starting out with weak parts to build into something for performance applications. Do I replace the 7.5 in my S10 or my fox with something stronger. Yes I did, both for safety and reliability. Is their a trans that wont break if I beat the hell out of it week after week at the track. Might not be the one that came from the factory BUT they make adaptors to make it fit. I also see people that are show and shine at car shows that think tire cherping is where its at. When I was younger it was hold my beer and watch this. Now its sit down shut up and hang on.

I'm gonna jump in here 'cause I'm an old guy and this is my take on it, back in the old days is was a matter of parts availability and price, the sbc was cheap to build, small in size so the fit was easy, rear axles were another story, 10 bolts were weak and 12 bolt or 8 3/4 or danas were expensive, 9's were like trash cans, they were in nearly every driveway in town (this was in the 60's) and could be easily narrowed to fit with a vast selection of gears. Now it's the 8.8, you want a stout rear with inexpensive gear choices there it is, again one in every driveway. The sbc in a fox was popular because the fox is light and the camaro was not. I've heard the claims about the chevy engine being faster in a ford ( built ford tough with chevy stuff), now you have the LS engines, I have to say they are impressive for cheap horse power so they get stuffed in everything, cheap when you compare it to stuffing a coyote in a car? Hot rodders have always been a cheap bunch, if you can make it faster cheaper they will do it, I do object to transplanting chevy stuff in a ford but it's not my car so do what you want, it's all cool, it's all hot rod'n. The cost to stuff an LS engine in a vehicle vs a coyote (just to compare modern engines) is negligible. Now just imagine the fight that would ensue if you stuck that nissan V6 with a hair dryer in a fox! It's all hot rodding. Enjoy the ride.