520Fox

Mar 29, 2020
yuma, az
I have 2000 mustang gt and it used to grind when you would go from neutral into 1st and same thing for reverse. To get it not to do that you had to put it into 2nd than 1st and 5th than reverse for it not to grind. I recently installed a new clutch cable (fire wall adjuster design) and now I can shift into reverse no problem and first gear did get better sometimes it would shift into first perfectly fine, sometimes it would just shift hard or grind as well. Because the new clutch cable fixed reverse it makes me think maybe the car might just need a clutch (maybe the clutch isn't fully disengaged ), the old clutch cable was loose down at the pedal. Any insight what the issue is: could it very well just be bad synchro's or just a bad bad clutch, hopefully not a trans rebuild.

• Sponsors (?)

Synchros (which ultimately means a rebuild); if it were the clutch, you'd see it across all the gears. Essentially, it works like this: with the engine running, clutch out and transmission in neutral, the input and countershafts in the trans are still connected to the engine, and are turning. When you press the clutch, you're disconnecting the engine, but there's still going to be some movement from the remaining momentum. Synchros have the job of matching the input/countershaft speeds to the output shaft when you try to put it in gear; in this case we're sitting still, so that means they have to stop the input/countershaft. By putting it in 2nd then 1st, you're using the synchro for 2nd gear to stop those rotation, which then allows 1st gear to lock up.

I have 2000 mustang gt and it used to grind when you would go from neutral into 1st and same thing for reverse. To get it not to do that you had to put it into 2nd than 1st and 5th than reverse for it not to grind. I recently installed a new clutch cable (fire wall adjuster design) and now I can shift into reverse no problem and first gear did get better sometimes it would shift into first perfectly fine, sometimes it would just shift hard or grind as well. Because the new clutch cable fixed reverse it makes me think maybe the car might just need a clutch (maybe the clutch isn't fully disengaged ), the old clutch cable was loose down at the pedal. Any insight what the issue is: could it very well just be bad synchro's or just a bad bad clutch, hopefully not a trans rebuild.
I to had a issue like this not long ago. Except mine was downshifting to 4th and reverse. I adjusted my firewall adjuster, fixed it for about 100 miles, started again. Adjusted more and now it perfect. The cable will stretch a bit so I am pretty sure that was my issue. Make small tweaks to it until it goes away. I found that the cable stretching just a hair can cause headaches.