t-5 questions

I have a t-5 i was wondering if theres a a way to convert it to hydrolic instead of cable because the motor is a 347 stroker with a spec stage 3 clutch and I would love to have a easy clutch vs a heavy clutch

my second question is is my t-5 fine for my set up?
I have a 347 stroker, im not planning on hard launches its basically just a weekend warrior for just crusing around town would this tranny be alright with my set up to get me from point a to point b?

and my final question
the tranny is used is there a way to tell if the tranny is good or not without having it hooked up to the motor?

thanks guys dont know what id do without the help

• Sponsors (?)

What year car are you talking about? Do a search on "mustang hydraulic clutch" and you will find lots of stuff about hydraulic clutches for classic mustangs. If this is for a late model, maybe you can use or modify one on those. As far as you stock t-5 goes, as long as you are careful with it, it can last a real long time. For just cruising around I don't see a problem. I have had stock t-5's behind my built 331 for years with no problems. I think a good shifter helps a lot. When it dies, I'll get something stronger.

I don't know about testing it out of the car. Pull the cover off and check out the internals, but unless you know what you are looking at, that probably won't really do you any good. Maybe a good (someone you trust) tranny shop can inspect it for?

I have a t-5 i was wondering if theres a a way to convert it to hydrolic instead of cable because the motor is a 347 stroker with a spec stage 3 clutch and I would love to have a easy clutch vs a heavy clutch

There sure is a way, us ranger guys have to convert them to hydraulic to make them work with our pedal assembly.
showthread.php
to a good amount of information on it, if you need any specific pictures, let me know and i can go outside and snap some of my set-up!

I agree with CJRPony, 10,000 miles on 388rwhp, runs great and the tranny has almost 105,000 miles on it. But I did a Super Cobra King clutch, FRPP clutch cable and quadrant. The clutch pedal effort was less than mine 01 VW Jetta. Sooo smooth now and much easier than my Cobra and Notch. I would highly recommend this set up.

Forte's Parts Connection (508) 875-0016 - TREMEC DEALER, FACTORY FIVE COBRA PARTS, FORD RACING PARTS, FFR MKI and MKII, MUSTANG PARTS, TRANSMISSIONS, T-56, T-5, TKO, TR-3550

599.jpg

External pull slave kit

Description: This external billet pull slave kit fits your Ford Mustang bellhousing just like the cable does. No drilling or welding needed. It includes the OEM retainer clip and still accepts the OEM fork cover.

Installation Notes: This will also work on a Lakewood or McLeod bellhousing but will require our fork extension to retain proper alignment of pull slave piston to fork. Can be used on F-150 & Lightning manual transmission conversions.

$180.00

Just blew up a t-5 when I shifted into 3rd gear... I was told by hanlon motorsports that 3rd gear is most likely going to be the easiest gear to break because it's the farthest gear away from the bearings, the shaft flexs more in that gear. So if I were you I wouldn't be too hard on it.. I didn't have any signs of any problems till I crushed 3rd. I only missed 3rd gear a couple of times since I put that tranny in. I had hanlon motorsports replace all of my internals in my t-5 with g force parts.. Those gears made the stock ones look tiny.. So far I am very happy with the trans. Planning on doing a small twin turbo kit, that's why I went with that tranny.

I know, my t5 has like 150k on it and about 40 or 50 launchs with slicks(1.6 60fts) and still works like a champ.

crappy tires definatly put less stress though

Agreed, I don't get on mine in 1st Gear anyway, my notch gets sideways in 1st and 2nd, don't really want to be there in a convertible if you know what I mean.

Just blew up a t-5 when I shifted into 3rd gear... I was told by hanlon motorsports that 3rd gear is most likely going to be the easiest gear to break because it's the farthest gear away from the bearings, the shaft flexs more in that gear. So if I were you I wouldn't be too hard on it.. I didn't have any signs of any problems till I crushed 3rd. I only missed 3rd gear a couple of times since I put that tranny in. I had hanlon motorsports replace all of my internals in my t-5 with g force parts.. Those gears made the stock ones look tiny.. So far I am very happy with the trans. Planning on doing a small twin turbo kit, that's why I went with that tranny.

That's when mine went, in 3rd just driving normal. Managed to get it ten miles home. I was told 2nd and 3rd receive the most abuse.