T-5. Synchronized Reverse??

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I've taken apart many T-5's and know for a fact that the 83-93 version does nto have a synchroed reverse.

However, someone on Stangnet brought to my attention that 94-95 Cobras did get a synchroed reverse and pointed out a webpage that also claimed it.

Any truth to this??

I've never opened up a 94+ T-5 or any of the recent V6 T-5's. Did Tremec incorporate a synchroed reverse at some point in the latest versions?

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang5L5 said:
I've taken apart many T-5's and know for a fact that the 83-93 version does nto have a synchroed reverse.

However, someone on Stangnet brought to my attention that 94-95 Cobras did get a synchroed reverse and pointed out a webpage that also claimed it.

Any truth to this??

I've never opened up a 94+ T-5 or any of the recent V6 T-5's. Did Tremec incorporate a synchroed reverse at some point in the latest versions?
The T5 in my 95 GTS did not have syncronized reverse and as far as I know the Cobras had the same trans. It was just like any other T5 I have ever had. I have a brand new Tremec close ratio T5 in my 90 LX, also unsyncronized.

Mike, quite some time ago on a T5 trans thread, you and I bantered a little about the 93 Cobra spec boxes having a reverse synchro. I am pretty sure this is not what you were thinking of on this thread, but.......

(FWIW, i have not torn one apart to look - just what i have read. i have an article or two saved if interested).

I also know of no SN95 T5's having a reverse synchro (but I am less familiar with that platform).

Yes, I've done a few with the synchro'd reverse. Usually '93 up with the pocket bearing between the input and main shaft also have the brass synchros for fifth and reverse. It's still not the greatest setup...

Jamie

Ranchero5.0 said:
Yes, I've done a few with the synchro'd reverse. Usually '93 up with the pocket bearing between the input and main shaft also have the brass synchros for fifth and reverse. It's still not the greatest setup...

Would this include the Cobra and T5z type trannies?

I rebuilt a 95 cobra t5 about 2weeks ago and it was sync. in reverse. I don't know which t5s were or weren't sync. reverse but i do know that it could easily be sync. with a 95cobra sycro assembly for 5th and rev. Hope this helps.

I am not an expert by any means, but from what I understand, the w/c trannys have brass syncros for 5th and reverse and fibre syncros for 1st thru 4th. Non w/c are all brass. I recently rebuilt my 90 t5 and got the kit from ford motorsport. it covered from 85 or 86 til 95. Just my 2 cents Patrick

getusummm said:
I am not an expert by any means, but from what I understand, the w/c trannys have brass syncros for 5th and reverse and fibre syncros for 1st thru 4th.

Not all T-5's have the synchroed reverse which is the reason i made this thread. The T-5's i have worked on did have the brass synchro for 5th gear, but nothing for reverse.

Now i'm curious to see where i can get the parts for a synchroed reverse and install it in my T-5 while it's still out of the car

Mike, like I said above it's not the greatest setup, just uses a cone and synchro that key into the tail housing. I still go second then reverse, second then first too. I have one apart in the lower garage. will try to get a pic in the AM.