T-5 Transmission Leaks (I believe)

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
Last week, I had a thread on this but I started a new one because i got pictures of exactly where im talking about the leaks happening.

miscpics0031nf2.jpg

If you guys cant make out what the closest thing in the pictures is heres another pic of it.

miscpics001rm1.jpg

The other thing leaking in the first pic is the engine shield.

Attachments

• miscpics0031nf2.jpg
    miscpics0031nf2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 57
  • miscpics001rm1.jpg
    miscpics001rm1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 63
  • Sponsors (?)

The first picture is looking at the bottom of your bellhousing from the front of the car rearward, if its leaking between the bellhousing and the block, then go get you a good rear main seal... the second picture looks like its from the bottom of the tranny right under the crossmember where the tranny mount is.. from the picture it looks like it is leaking from the drivers side and running over to the passenger side... check your oilpan gasket and your dipstick tube where it goes into the block. thats where i would start

whoa, those pics are huge. +1 on the rear main though...there isnt many places you can really leak from th ough. The rear main will leak oil, and the transmission will really only leak from either the output shaft, or from where your speedo gear sits. Or I guess unless your fluid level plug isnt in there and youre drivin around lol

Mustang5L5 said:
Is it trans fluid or engine oil? Is it red or black??

The first pic could either be a rear main seal leak, or a front input shaft seal leak.

It looks more black when its drips.

So your all saying a rear main seal and front input shaft seal.

Well check out the first pic again if you looks there 2 leaks in 2 different places im trying to show.

Mustang5L5 said:
If it's black it's engine oil.

rear main seal would be my guess.

I can't see where the 2nd leak is. TYhe pics are just too huge

I hope you can see it better now..

also question where is the rear main seal and what does it seal?

miscpics001lz1.jpg

Attachments

• miscpics001lz1.jpg
    miscpics001lz1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 62
rear main seal is the seal on the back of the engine that seals around the part of the crankshaft that comes out of the engine and attached to the flywheel. Very common leak on 5.0's and easy to fix except that the trans needs to come out to fix.

I can see the leak now in the new pic, but it's tough to say where it's coming from. It's not being splashed on by the front leak is it? Or is it a separate leak alltogether. Tough to see where it is but if you are gonna fix the rear main seal leak you'll need to take the trans out anyway

I have the same leak. It's oil. Youll notice it's kind of confusing where it's coming from because it runs away from where it starts.....which makes it hard to tell.
More than likely the rear main.
Mines not too bad yet....maybe a little puddle the size quarter or a tad bigger per day.

Mustang5L5 said:
rear main seal is the seal on the back of the engine that seals around the part of the crankshaft that comes out of the engine and attached to the flywheel. Very common leak on 5.0's and easy to fix except that the trans needs to come out to fix.

I can see the leak now in the new pic, but it's tough to say where it's coming from. It's not being splashed on by the front leak is it? Or is it a separate leak alltogether. Tough to see where it is but if you are gonna fix the rear main seal leak you'll need to take the trans out anyway

Thanks for the info on the rear main seal,

The other leak shown in the pic, i'm almost positive its not being splashed because lets put it this way, there are drips coming off taht thing its not like its just wet from blow by. and also about the rear main seal leak, if the rear main seal is leaking like you think it is, will it be dripping off the engine shield cause taht the only spot it is leaking from other then the other leak further down.

If i were you i would check your valve covers first ... it will leak down the back of the motor down the bellhousing ... also check your dran plug that its not stripped or nuthin. it not tha easy to change the rear main seal you have to get the clutch and flywheel off ... hope this helps

FordBaby said:
If i were you i would check your valve covers first ... it will leak down the back of the motor down the bellhousing ... also check your dran plug that its not stripped or nuthin. it not tha easy to change the rear main seal you have to get the clutch and flywheel off ... hope this helps

Check the drain plug for the tranny? where is that?

Also if its the valve covers my engine was rebuilt like less then 2,000 miles ago and i wanted to know i got a rebuilt long block up to the cylinder heads no valve covers but he did have new gaskets to put on as far as i know and second of all he has to put new gaskets on to finish the engine swap right?

Have you found out wat kinda fluid is leaking ... i meant check the oil drain plug if thats leaking then when u drive your car it will be blown back onto the bellhousing and engine block plate (which is shown in the first picture) ... the valve covers can be very tricky check to see if there is any oil on the top of the bellhousing. The drain plug and the fill plug are on the passenger side on the side of the tranny check those but i doubt tahts ur problem. The only thing i could think of that could be causeing a leak in the second picture is the speedometer ... cheack all that **** out and keep us posted

FordBaby said:
Have you found out wat kinda fluid is leaking ... i meant check the oil drain plug if thats leaking then when u drive your car it will be blown back onto the bellhousing and engine block plate (which is shown in the first picture) ... the valve covers can be very tricky check to see if there is any oil on the top of the bellhousing. The drain plug and the fill plug are on the passenger side on the side of the tranny check those but i doubt tahts ur problem. The only thing i could think of that could be causeing a leak in the second picture is the speedometer ... cheack all that **** out and keep us posted

What do you mean by th speedometetr how can i look for that and look for leaks from there?

Well i just finished under my car for the last hour looking at everything. my oil drain plug is fine. there was oil and it was all dirty and wet on the bellhousing. my mechanic took a real quick look at it last night and he said valve cover gaskets but my whole engine was rebuilt and everything recently. also wen i look from under car at valve covers i can't see any wetness or oil where the gaskets are where it would be leaking.