T45 to T56 conversion in 2000 GT

CdnNavybob

Nov 24, 2003
My T45 is dying quickly. For a long time, its been grinding the 5 - 4 downshift when the transmission is hot. This morning, by the time I got to work I couldn't get it into 4th at all. By the time I got home from work, I had lost 2nd and 4th entirely. Rather than blow a ton of money on a rebuild, I'm going with a T56. Apparently, I need a 27 spline yoke, a new cross member and a new driveshaft. Will the OEM Cobra parts work for this or will I need some kind of aftermarket conversion kit?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

http://www.ddperformance.com/

they have complete kits. this is proably what I would do. this way you the only think you mave have to mod is the tunnel a hair. i think it rubs in one spot from what I have read.

now you can modify many things if you want to save money. you can elongate the holes in your existing cross member. proably have you drifshaft shortened. there is actually a write up on this site of how to do it without buying the kit.

My car has a complete kit from D & D. Do a search on Google for "D&D T56" and you will find some articles. It costs around $4000 but you will get everything you need and with the T56 you use an 11" clutch [included]. My kit came with an aluminum shaft too.

you'll need a shorter driveshaft or a cobra droveshaft, modified crossmember or just buy a cobra crossmember, wire up the reverse lockout solenoid, bang out the tunnel a little where the tranny rubs. If you go with a cobra driveshaft, you will need a cobra pinion flange.