t5 install (more questions) regarding install

pazcarguy

Mar 30, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I posted a question a few days ago regarding a crossmember having a really bad fit to car and think i figured it out. It appears that i was given a tremec crossmember verse a T5 and this may be the reason, anyway i have a T5 coming this friday. My new question is as follows. I understand that some people have to trim a quarter to half an inch from the passenger side shifter hole. I have to do this but am wondering if anyone has had this problem. Did anyone notice if the shifter mounting area (rectangle with 4 threaded holes) is not sitting parallel with the floor cutout? Mine is slightly twisted to the right or clockwise when viewed from in the car. i am using a lakewood scattershield and t5 adapter plate that is installed correctly. I also noticed that the rear trans tailshaft mount is not parallel but "twisted" in the same manner if viewed from the end (As everything is not lined up persay at 12 oclock position but at 12:30 position when viewed from the tailshaft looking forward). the trans bolted up fine and engaged everything as it should but appears as if it not level and I verified this by putting a 6" bubble level on the rear mounting boss and it is off. Weird thing is that everything bolted up no problem? strange. Brian

• Sponsors (?)

That is consistent with the install with my 6 cylinder

But not quite 12:30, more like 12:15, and I did not have to relieve the tunnel. It does not hit the right side, but is very close.
Since then I've added a 1/4" plate under the right motor mount so it would clear the lines on the Rack and Pinion. this moved the shifter a good 1/4" away from the edge.
Sorry not a V8...yet.

I don't recall this being an issue with my 68 347/T5 install. Here is a pretty good pic of the trans & tailshaft relative to the underside of the car. Do you have a pic to show the alignment issue?

2161687_38_full.jpg

twist in transmission

LMan said:
yea, it has that twist in it. Doesn't seem to be an issue, as far as I know.
Mine looks like the picture. I was concerned that the rear mounting boss does not sit level with the crossmember due to this twist. It appears that this is exactly what I am seeing. Does anyone have troubles with the rear rubber mount do to this? Brian

picture

jcode68 said:
I don't recall this being an issue with my 68 347/T5 install. Here is a pretty good pic of the trans & tailshaft relative to the underside of the car. Do you have a pic to show the alignment issue?

2161687_38_full.jpg
I don't have a picture but it looks very similar to yours. How much "off level" is your rear transmission mounting boss in relation to the crossmember mounting pad? brian

pazcarguy said:
I don't have a picture but it looks very similar to yours. How much "off level" is your rear transmission mounting boss in relation to the crossmember mounting pad? brian

I didn't have any issues with alignment of the cross member mounting pad and the mounting bosses on the trans. I didn't think my trans was cocked or tilted in any way, but perhaps it looks that way because of the way the picture was taken. If you look at the pic again, look at the top of the trans tunnel in relation to the top/flat section of the gear shifter. To me, they look parallel and straight. Does yours?

I had to trim some of the shifter opening in the tunnel to fit the Pro 5.0 shifter through. The stock shifter would have fit fine. My tranny also appeared to be cocked. The tranny mount did not appear to fit, but did fit when bolted up.

Mine sits a little higher than the picture

May be the difference in years, or the difference in mounts (mine came from Modern Driveline). Most of the rubber boot for the shifter is in the car on my install. Probably close to an inch higher than jcode68's.

tilted/twisted transmission

jcode68 said:
I didn't have any issues with alignment of the cross member mounting pad and the mounting bosses on the trans. I didn't think my trans was cocked or tilted in any way, but perhaps it looks that way because of the way the picture was taken. If you look at the pic again, look at the top of the trans tunnel in relation to the top/flat section of the gear shifter. To me, they look parallel and straight. Does yours?

I am awaiting the receipt of my "new" crossmember. I bought one from Laurel mountain mustang and it did not fit, wasn't even close. I believe they sent me a tremec crossmember inserted into a t5 box. This is where I am referring to the rear mounting boss as 'cocked' and not parallel (this might go away with different crossmember that I hope to receive friday). Anyway, the trans looks like the picture where everything from rear view appears twisted. It is premature to surmise how it will end up until I get the different crossmember. Brian