T5 rebuild - need help identifying parts

Hey guys. I need some help. We just pulled the transmission out today and opened it up. I found this broken part with the lottle flange broke off and down on the magnet along with this thin round bar. At first I thought it was a piece of bearing or a push pin but I cant figure out what it is. And the broken piece I cant figure out the name of it so I can order it. I dont see that piece in the rebuild kits.

The reason I pulled the transmission was because I got on it hard the other day and when I stopped at the next light I couldn't even move the shifter it was locked up. I was able to get it into fourth and managed to get it home. After it cooled down I was able to go through the gears at home and they felt good but first was shot. It didnt want to go in at all and when it did you had to pull hard to get it back out.

When pulling it I noticed the input shaft had a good amount of play. Could that have anything to do with my issue?

I'm going to buy the rebuild kit bit I just need to know the name of that broken piece.
20200725_184243.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Push pin looks like the pin that fits under the NGS sensor in the top cover.

common for the input shaft to have play. Usually when I rebuild a T5 I try to shim it a bit tighter.

hard to get my bearings in the small tab. I’ll hVe to look through my T5 parts and refresh my memory

Push pin looks like the pin that fits under the NGS sensor in the top cover.

common for the input shaft to have play. Usually when I rebuild a T5 I try to shim it a bit tighter.

hard to get my bearings in the small tab. I’ll hVe to look through my T5 parts and refresh my memory
I will have to look at that sensor tomorrow and see if that's where it could have come from.

Also I figured out that the broken piece is the reverse brake synchro cone for 5th gear. I found on for like $25.

I'm just hoping that the rebuild will fox the major issue I had. I didnt really find much while looking around. All the gears and bearings look good. I'm just going to do new Synchros, washers, shims and the clips and see how it goes. I'm not a real tight budget.

Thank you for the reply

I did a t-5 for my stang a couple a months ago,I got the parts from 5speeds .com,the owner did a video with Eric the car guy(youtube)very helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
If it has a reverse brake synchro, it's a late 92 or 93 T-5.

Those parts tend to not be included in standard rebuild kits, so you will need to likely order them separately.

As you can see, it matches perfectly to what you have there broken. Also, pretty convinced the pin is from the NGS.

Those parts tend to not be included in standard rebuild kits, so you will need to likely order them separately.

As you can see, it matches perfectly to what you have there broken. Also, pretty convinced the pin is from the NGS.

Thank you for the information. I found that piece on the same website lol. I ordered it the other day. I still need to look at the NGS to see if the pin came out of it.

Thanks again!

[/QUOTE

Mustang can you help me out here? So I looked at the top of the case and I cant find a spot where this would go. There's a sensor on the outside of the case cover but it doesn't come through the cover. Its empty on the inside. Check it out. what do you think?

Attachments

• 20200727_185825.jpg
    20200727_185825.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 20200727_185903.jpg
    20200727_185903.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 200
Mustang can you help me out here? So I looked at the top of the case and I cant find a spot where this would go. There's a sensor on the outside of the case cover but it doesn't come through the cover. Its empty on the inside. Check it out. what do you think?
That pin should go in to top before sensor is screwed in.pull sensor and post pic.

Remove the sensor on the top cover. The pin contacts the shift rail and depresses the plunger. It sometimes falls in when the trans is rebuilt.

if the pin is present, pull it out and compare to the one you found. It’s tough to get a sense of how long the pin is in the pic so I’m assuming it is in fact the NGS pin.

Reactions: 1 user
Remove the sensor on the top cover. The pin contacts the shift rail and depresses the plunger. It sometimes falls in when the trans is rebuilt.

if the pin is present, pull it out and compare to the one you found. It’s tough to get a sense of how long the pin is in the pic so I’m assuming it is in fact the NGS pin.
Totally agree