t5- tremec 3550 swap tomorrow but need some advice

gregflores95gt

Jul 24, 2010
Okay well tomorrow I will be swapping the t5 in my 95 gt to the tremec 3550...but I have been searching for help non stop!.. My question is if I will need a driveshaft spacer and how much are they?.. Also could I just swap it in their with no extra parts? I already have the bellhousing and all that btw
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Here is the link to the spacer from Steeda. I know other people sell them, but this is the first one I came up with.

Steeda Hardcore Driveshaft Spacer 11/16" - Ford Mustang

You do need to run a spacer. You can get away without it for a short period of time, but the driveshaft will not be all the way up on the output shaft, and it can create a problem if you keep running it without one.

I have done this swap several times, and I have written up all the stuff you need on a couple of other threads. Feel free to ask any questions. I got you covered.

Here are just a few things.

1. You need a 3550 specific bellhousing.
2. You need a clutch fork from a foxbody (93 and older)
3. 3550 specific shifter, unless you are just going to run the one that comes with it.
4. You may need to modify your crossmember. Sometimes you can just flip it around
5. You will need to make custom exhaust hangers.
6. The top bellhousing bolts will be too long. You will need a stack of 7/16" washers, or shorter bolts. They are 7/16" x 14 bolts
7. About 3 quarts of Synchromesh for the transmission. Amsoil sells it for about $10, which is about half the cost of the GM dealer3
8. The speedo gears will be different. So your speedo will be off unless you get the right gear.

Kurt

Thanks a lot kurt... I have the bellhousing, pro 5.0 shifter, and the clutch fork from the foxbody, the transmission used to be in my 88 saleen but my t-5 is done in the 95 so I NEED to swap .. But thanks for all the info it really helps

The driveshaft yolk does not have the proper contact area with the output shaft. This increases the stress on the output shaft and yolk splines, because it is transferring the torque over a smaller contact surface. It can also lead to yolk wobble if you get any slack in your driveshaft or transmission bearings. There are a lot of things you can do to increase the strength of your drivetrain. $50 on a spacer is not a lot of money to spend for the huge advantage in strength you get out of it.

Kurt