Drivetrain T56 Swap into a 1992 Ford Mustang GT 5-speed

Swhitney

Feb 11, 2019
Oregon City
Besides getting the T56 transmission, what is all involved? I could essentially piecemeal this entire kit for a lot less than buying from a performance shop. Installing a transmission is no issues as long as she fits correctly. What is everyone's thoughts?
  • Clutch Fork
  • Crossmember Kit
  • Transmission Mount
  • Speedometer Cable
  • Backup Light Switch Pigtail
  • Custom Aluminum Driveshaft

• Sponsors (?)

The t56 is over rated. The 6th gear is about the same. The new Tremec TKX is a better choice. No special driveshaft just 31 spline yoke, aluminum tko bell, 26 spline clutch friction plate, and grind spot weld from crossmember tubes and slide back. This is why I went with a built tko600 recently. Bob at Hanlon Motorsports treated me well. If you have questions I'd call them. They'll steer you in the right direction and keep you within your budget.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you will be hard pressed to do it for "a lot less" than some of the kits out there.
The trans cost, is the trans cost and the same goes for the clutch. Doesn't leave a whole lot of room for savings on the little parts.

I'll agree, the tkx does make a case for going with a 5 speed as opposed to a 6, especially with an 8000rpm shift limit.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you will be hard pressed to do it for "a lot less" than some of the kits out there.
The trans cost, is the trans cost and the same goes for the clutch. Doesn't leave a whole lot of room for savings on the little parts.

I'll agree, the tkx does make a case for going with a 5 speed as opposed to a 6, especially with an 8000rpm shift limit.
Most of the "kits" I look up ( whether they be ball joint "kits" or " TKX" kits) are ALL overpriced.... You are paying for someone else to do the work for you...