T56 swap

• Sponsors (?)

Call SPEC, they will get you what you need. Mcleod makes great clutches too, but SPEC has better customer service. The type of T56 matters quite a bit, so it is much better to call the source up front, than to ask around on the internet.

Kurt

I have a 94 mustang and swapping my tko500 for a t56. I know there are kits out there but I can't find anything about clutches. Is there a specific clutch I will need?
It entirely depends on the spline count on the input shaft. Either 10 or 26 spline is what you’ll need, and it will be obvious when you look at the trans which one you have.

I like the ram ultra grip I have in my car as It almost drives like stock, and holds up well. When this one goes I’ll replace it with another. Pretty much and 10.5in mustang clutch will work as long as your spline count is right.

I'm not checking the number, but tremec doesn't make the T56 anymore, AFAIK. They're doing the TR6060 and the aftermarket "T56 Magnum" variants of it.

Ignore the 450 ft-lbs rating. With a 26-spline input, it's a bad mofo. I'd put it right up there with a TKO any day.

I'm just wondering what is sold for new. Trying to see if he's asking a fair price. He's asking 2,000. I'll need to have it built up anyways. I have a tko500 right now and it's not gunna hold my power.

If it needs to be built, $2k is way high. You can put a ton of money into them real quick. Input shafts are about $400 or so the last time I looked. If it needs synchro's, add a bunch more. A brand new Magnum can be had for $3200 if you shop around a little.

They are heavy, they are power hungry, but they (at least the magnum) shifts beautifully and the magnum is very strong. They're also kind of clanky if you have a rough idling camshaft and light flywheel/clutch and low idle speed.

Since the TR6060 is the basis of the magnum, it makes me wonder if the TR6070 is going to be a basis for a 7 speed version of the magnum. Dunno. I don't know why anyone would want a 7 speed. With 6, you're shifting all the time anyway, or at least it seems that way.

Yeah I would be doing a bunch of upgrades. I'll be close to 750rwhp. It was bolted to a 5.0 so it will bolt to my 347. Just comes with bellhousing and clutch fork. American power train quoted me $6300 for a new t56 magnum with all upgrades to handle my power and conversion kit. So trying to come in way under that

Yeah I would be doing a bunch of upgrades. I'll be close to 750rwhp. It was bolted to a 5.0 so it will bolt to my 347. Just comes with bellhousing and clutch fork. American power train quoted me $6300 for a new t56 magnum with all upgrades to handle my power and conversion kit. So trying to come in way under that
You look at promotion Powertrain? Call them and talk to Walt. He’s a sharp dude.

I'll throw a little more manual transmission info in here. The TKO600 and the T56 are built to the same technical specs; that means the same bearing diameters, the same amount of gear contact area, etc. So there is no reason one should be stronger than the other on paper. However, the case on the front of the TKO is hair thin. In order to correct for that, you have to get something called a SWARR girdle. There are only a few differences between the old 3550s and the newer TKOs. Slightly different gear ratios for more strength, and the TKO had a single piece countershaft. Parts can be swapped back and forth between them.

Also, don't get caught up in how much power someone says they managed to get through a particular transmission. The tire at the back of the car is as important as the torque coming out of the engine. Sticky tires brake transmissions. You can have 1000 hp running through a T5, and never brake it if it all ends up in some cheap zero traction tire.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
Call up rockland standard gear in NY . They sell magnums brand new but also are the ones who make the transzilla t56 to handle 1000+.

They did my tko for me and it shifted night and day better

You know, I'm not so convinced that the Tranzilla T56 is any stronger than a standard Magnum. They used to make the original Tranzilla with G-force gears (9310 alloy & 22* helix angle), which really were a lot stronger than normal T56s. However, I'm pretty sure that the gearing in the the Trazilla magnums are the stock gears with some minor stuff like cryo treatments and deburring. In any event, I'm pretty sure, this guy is not interested in a new tranny.

You know, I'm not so convinced that the Tranzilla T56 is any stronger than a standard Magnum. They used to make the original Tranzilla with G-force gears (9310 alloy & 22* helix angle), which really were a lot stronger than normal T56s. However, I'm pretty sure that the gearing in the the Trazilla magnums are the stock gears with some minor stuff like cryo treatments and deburring. In any event, I'm pretty sure, this guy is not interested in a new tranny.
My tko did not have the gears done. Just the usual tricks but I believe the t56 does still get the good stuff . My buddy had them build one for the 2jz 86 coupe he has

No, they really don't. Actually, the new tranzilla magnum is rated lower than the old tranzilla T56. They just use the standard magnum shafts and gears. Just checked their website. I'm personally not interested in the upgrade when they use the same parts. I'm not so sure any of what they do actually increases the strength. To sell me on one of the new trannies, they'd have to show me where they measured anything that indicated an increase in strength. I am their target audience - a high powered h-pattern shifted setup. If I blew up mine, which has the g-force gears, I would just go straight to a normal magnum. There are a lot of magnums standing up to big big power, these days.

The old T56 rating went from 450 ft-lbs to 1000 with the g-force stuff. Now, the magnums go from 700 to 850.

Reactions: 1 user