Tailpipes.....

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
After installing my new 10th Anniversary Chrome Cobra wheels on my fox, I've come to the realization that the mediocre looking aluminized tailpipes on my aftermarket cat back look downright awful in contrast to the shiny new wheels. I was thinking of just scuffing up the chrome finish on the wheels to match the pipes ;), but thought it would probably be less work to just change the tailpipes.

I'm currently looking at a set from Late Model Restoration and wondered if anyone here had any experience with them? They're priced right and they're made of 304 stainless...which I assume means I'm able to polish their already shiny finish, to a mirror like shine to match the wheels.

Any opinions?

1986-97 Mustang 2.5" Stainless Steel LX Tailpipes by 50resto at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

View attachment 174821

TOP SELLER! Finish your exhaust project off the right way with this set of lightly polished stainless steel tailpipes from Latemodel Restoration Supply!

These high-quality pipes, are mandrel-bent to eliminate the kinks in the bend area and are constructed of heavy duty 2.5" 304 lightly polished stainless steel and feature 2.5" stainless exhaust tips. Why do we keep saying "lightly polished? Well, because they are not mirror polished, but lightly polished to mimic the factory tailpipe finish. They are a great replacement tailpipe for your 1986 Mustang GT, 1987-93 Mustang LX, 1993 Cobra, or 1994-97 Mustang GT/Cobra. They will require a trip to the exhaust shop to have them properly installed, unless you are the handy type with a welder! If your Mustang Exhaust needs a little work, LRS has you covered!

* * * NOTE: Will require modification for use with mufflers that have hangers built onto them. You must shorten the pipe at the muffler connection point and remove the existing hanger from the tail pipes. * * *

• Sponsors (?)

Your just looking for the stock look, correct? That's what the S.S. ones will give you. I doubt you can polish S.S. to an extreme shine. Aluminum yes but S.S. not so much. I had the chrome ones because they came with the kit (MAC 3" for my 347) and thought they would never last but they did hold up just fine. I also had chrome rims so it was a must.

MustangTailPipes.jpg

Attachments

• MustangTailPipes.jpg
    MustangTailPipes.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 446
Ok, then I stand corrected. I had never seen S.S. look like chrome dipped ever. Obviously it's not easy to do. You may want to look into chrome and save your time then.

I thought of that, but these pipes seem a lot further ahead than the set in the thread above were. They look like about half the work. Perhaps just some fine wet sanding and polish to get that mirror shine I'm after? :shrug:

In any case, I too had a set of Mac pipes on my last Mustang and although they looked really good when they were shined up, I can't exactly say they were maintenance free. If I let them go for any length of time, they would start to pit and rust, requiring me to get out there with the steel wool and compound polish on a regular basis to stay on top of them.

I guess it's not a huge PITA, but the Mac pipes are also a fair bit more expensive and in the end, are still only mild steel dipped in chrome? Not to mention if they're anything like my last ones, they're a ball and socket flange design that bolts on after the axle, no? These LMR ones seem to start directly at the muffler...which means I don't have to have a ball end made up on my current exhaust (adding to the expense) and they're less likely to leak over time?

All I can say is Kevin (04Sleeper) must have a lot of time on his hands. I've seen many pics of his car on this forum over the years, and the recent pics in MMFF or 5.0 Magazine (forgot which one) and that must be a full time job keeping his car that clean. I could rub a white glove over every surface (above and under) that car and it would come out clean :D

Buy a whole catback, this way you know the pipes will line up with the muffler exits, and you don't have to pay someone to weld them on.