Taurus EFAN controller?

oatburner99

Feb 20, 2010
Temple, TX
ok so here's the scenario. Got a 90 Fox. Just finished the 3g 130 Amp alternator, install.

Now I picked up a Taurus electric fan complete with the pigtail. I know there is a retarded amount of threads out there for a Taurus install on a fox, but it seems there are some major differences.

Install options that I have found:

1. DCC controller
http://www.dccontrol.com/2sp.pdf
2. Flexalite's VSC
Flex-a-lite 33054 - Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Controllers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
3. Hayden
Hayden 3647 - Thermostatic Fan Control | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I just purchased the Hayden controller. Which has a 30amp capability. But after doing some more digging, finding out that the Hayden controller doesn't have a soft start capability. Which from what I have read is required for the taurus fan due to it's initial startup amperage. From what I have found some people use this controller with the 30 amp relay that is part of the controller. Other installs I've seen people just get a dcc. And other's use the summit racing vsc and a 75 AMP RELAY.

Being that I have the 3g 130 amp alternator I know that's covered. Can I use the hayden controller with a 75 amp relay? Or do I need to take it back and get the summit racing model with the soft start capability, and a 75 amp relay?

(DCC is out of the picture right now. I can't wait 2 weeks for a controller)

• Sponsors (?)

You don't need the soft-start but it's nice on your electrical system.

If using a non-soft start controller, the 75 amp relay is a nice way to go.

Another option is a fan switch and your own harness and relay.

I had the hayden controller like yours with a 75A relay. Don't know what happened, but it quit working and I wound up using the override switch I'd put in. I know this sounds stupid, but despite already having blown a Hayden I went and bought another from them, a two-speed/two fan controller

http://www.haydenauto.com/New Products-2 Speed 2 Fan Controller/Content.aspx

I have a single fan (Taurus) so I just don't use the wires that would go to a second fan. So far so good.

I have a Derale controller from summit, if you use a relay, or get a controller with one, i would strongly suggest getting a couple spare relays and keeping one handy in the glovebox at all times

I dont have a Taurus fan, but I do have a SN95 that I installed a little over a year ago using a cheapo Hayden controller. I wired it with a 75amp relay and it too has A/C so it's on all the time. Just make sure you use a equally as big fuse just in case.