Teksid block with sohc heads

Teksid5.1

May 24, 2009
Could I have some help pointing me in the right direction, I have a teksid block with a new rotating assembly to put in it with sohc heads. I've never done a build like this and would like to know what to expect. The pistons are 30 over and the block hasn't been to the machine shop yet. I know that there is a hole I will have to drill out for the coolant for the heads. The heads have been ported and polished with bigger valves and .550 lift crower cams. Also a p-51 intake and and a p-1sc to go with it, thanks for any info ya'll can give me.

• Sponsors (?)

First snag, I have went to and called almost every machine shop in the tri-state area and noone has a torque plate to bore the block out if anyone has any suggestions or can give me a name of a machine shop I could ship it to would be greatly appreciated

I think putting SOHC heads on it is a real mistake. Unless you've got some heavy porting and aggressive cams, maybe a blower, you're leaving a lot on the table.

I'm not sure if it's something you'd be interested in, but I have a set of B heads and a matching 96-98 Cobra intake I've been tripping over in my garage.

For $600, I'll ship you both the heads and the intake. All you'll need are some cams and you're golden.

Just throwing that out there, but either way, I don't recommend SOHC heads.

:)

I would disagree and say the SOHC heads are plenty fun too. With the PI heads and flat top pistons (original teksid pistons), you can get upwards of 12:1 compression. :D Keep this in mind if you are adding boost!!!

Honestly, I think the swap to 4valve heads adds a lot more complication than it is worth. The components get rediculously expensive and fast when you are looking at 300$ per cam, and consider many 4v cams are custom grinds. Then, you have to worry about finding the correct intake, not to mention getting all the right sensors and solenoids in the right place... since you are starting with a 2v wiring harness.

In my opinion - Keep It Simple Stupid, 2 valve heads will take you a long ways for not a lot of money and work.

I doubt he wants high compression with the P1SC.
You have a good list of parts - what is it you are wanting to know?
What to expect? Great platform, easy to build - use sound building practices and double check all tolerances. Even with assembly lube and pre-oiling I have had some that rattle upon start up until oil makes it everywhere. If you are going 30 out on the block - do yourself a favor and have it sonic checked.

Just a sanity check - the teksid has a steel sleeve in the cylinders and from what I have read, you don't want to go more than 20 over. At 30 over, you likely need to re-sleeve it. As always, go with the smallest overbore you can. If you can get away with std do it, otherwise 10 or 20 over.

I would disagree and say the SOHC heads are plenty fun too. With the PI heads and flat top pistons (original teksid pistons), you can get upwards of 12:1 compression. :D

I've often wondered what kind of numbers could be put down with a combo like this. Ported TFS heads, 12:1 compression, some good cams, and the TFS intake manifold would probably lay down some very stout numbers assuming you were running it on E-85.

At least one member here runs a PI headed Teksid block on pump gas. Straumbough? (sorry, I butchered the name). Aluminum heads and the aluminum block help to dissipate heat and reduce the tendency to detonate, thus you can get away with a little more compression.

Still, I would think an E85 combo would be potent, especially with a few pounds of boost. I run 10:1 compression and 20psi on my 2.3 combo and it is a just a chunk of iron.

i have a teksid block, forged rotating assembly, p51 intake manifold, trick flow 2v heads, stage II comp cams, and a paxton novi 2000. I didnt drill any holes for coolant passages and it never overheated once when i had it driveable. Now im switching to a return-style fuel system, new cams, and ported intake/ported TFS heads.

I didnt even know that you had to drill a hole for the collant passages. I just put the rotating assembly in the block and bolted my 2v stuff onto it.

i have standard bore pistons too.

block

I'm using sohc because I already have a good set of heads and cams, and also to keep it simple. This is my first build of a 4.6. I,ve finally talked to someone about machining the block to 30 over and they said it would be no problem and they have done plenty of aluminum blocks. I am going to build a crate to ship it in this weekend and hopefully ship it off monday. The research I have done says that I need to drill a coolant passage for the sohc heads and after putting the head gasket on the block I can see the plug through a hole in the gasket. I'm not saying that it won't work right if you dont drill it out but i figure while it is apart on the engine stand and easy to get to I might as well.