Temperature gauge not working

Chad21D

Feb 27, 2020
Michigan
Iv been trying to get my temperature gauge to work after I did a engine swap. The parts car was a 2000 v6 mustang and the car that the engine and transmission went into was a 2003 v6 mustang. I have changed the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat I wired the clips from both years together and separate and the gauge will cycle when the key turns on but sits below the cold mark I let it run for 20 mins and no sign of the gauge working?

• Sponsors(?)

Chad21D

Feb 27, 2020
Michigan
Iv been trying to get my temperature gauge to work after I did a engine swap. The parts car was a 2000 v6 mustang and the car that the engine and transmission went into was a 2003 v6 mustang. I have changed the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat I wired the clips from both years together and separate and the gauge will cycle when the key turns on but sits below the cold mark I let it run for 20 mins and no sign of the gauge working. Iv been trying to find a fuse for it but haven’t been able to find anything for the temperature gauge itself of the coolant temperature sensor. Any help?

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
I wired the clips from both years together
This is your problem.

A 2000 MY V6 uses an ECT.

A 2001+ MY V6 uses a cylinder head temperature sensor.

The sensor used needs to match what the original PCM is expecting. Which in your case is a CHT.

But I can promise you that wiring two different temperature sensors together is not going to do what you want. The resistance values will not be what the PCM is expecting.